French Onion Pickle Dip is a delicious and savory appetizer that combines the rich flavors of caramelized onions with the tangy zing of dill pickles. Add it to your list of Christmas or New Year’s Eve appetizers and watch it disappear in no time! Serve it with crackers, chips, or fresh vegetables for dipping. I also have a Dill Pickle Cheese Ball and Dill Pickle Dip which are both tasty hits at gatherings!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Onion: Look for a sweet onion like Vidalia, Walla Walla, or Maui. It will be chopped and sauteed in oil for a caramelized sweetness.
Cream Cheese: Cream cheese adds richness and creaminess to the dip.
Sour Cream: Sour cream complements the caramelized onions and adds even more creaminess to the dip.
Dill: I added dried dill to the dip and fresh dill for garnish. If you are using only fresh dill, you will need about three times the amount as dried or about 1 tablespoon to add to the dip.
Cheese: Gruyere cheese is a classic choice when it comes to French onion recipes, especially French Onion Soup. You could substitute Swiss cheese, but it is quite different from the nutty, rich, easy-to-melt Gruyere.
Dill Pickles: Finely chopped dill pickles give you a nice crunch and burst of flavor in this dip. If you love everything dill pickle, you really should try my Ham and Pickle Pinwheels and Pickle Pizza, too!
What To Serve With French Onion Pickle Dip
When serving this dip at all of your holiday and game-day parties, or just to enjoy yourself, there are a variety of options for dipping. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Crackers: Serve a variety of crackers from buttery to wheat to whole grain.
- Homemade Potato Chips (or your favorite chips)
- Fresh Vegetables: Add the dip to your vegetable tray!
- Pita Chips
- Slices of baguette (or crostini)
- Slices of Crispy Bacon
Can I Caramelize The Onions Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can certainly get a head start on this dip by caramelizing the onions in advance. Once caramelized, let the onions cool to room temperature. Next, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or so. When ready to mix the dip, let the onions come to room temperature before adding the rest of the ingredients.
How To Store French Onion Pickle Dip
To store French Onion Pickle Dip, first, transfer the dip to an airtight container. It will last in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. When ready to serve, you may have to stir the dip to mix up the ingredients.
French Onion Pickle Dip
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (230 g) sour cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ cup (54 g) Gruyere cheese, finely shredded
- ¾ cup (107 g) dill pickles, finely diced
- fresh dill, for garnish
- crackers or chips, for serving
- To a medium non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add onions. Saute for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are very tender and caramel color.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- To a medium bowl, add the sauteed onions and garlic.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, salt, dill, cheese, and pickles. Mix until everything is well combined. This will make about 3 cups.
- Garnish with fresh dill. Serve with crackers or chips.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
I wasn't sure if I would like this one, but I did! This is a blend of two of our existing dips and I like both of them so I'm not sure why I hesitated. Definitely worth a try if you are a fan of pickles!
This dip is a flavorful twist on French onion dip, which I love! The added dill pickles make this a little different and a dip that people will devour!
Super delicious and easy dip to throw together for any parties or get-togethers. I love pickle everything and with the French onion, it was fantastic.
This dip is sure to be a crowd-pleaser! It has a flavor similar to ham spread but with the subtle flavor of the onions!
This dip is delicious! It's creamy, but it also has a sour and tangy flavor from the pickles. The onions add a deep flavor!
Don't make this if you don't want to eat the whole bowl. It's so good and fresh and it's even great as a veggie dip!