Jalapeno Cheddar Bread is made with the bold flavors of jalapeno peppers, along with cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese, baked to golden brown in a Dutch oven. This crusty loaf is a flavorful and spicy twist on traditional bread that you will want to try! If you love hearty bread, I also have Sun-Dried Tomato Bread you will love!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Flour: I used all-purpose flour in this recipe. We have not tested this bread with other kinds of flour, so I can’t speak to their effectiveness.
Yeast: Rapid-rise yeast, or instant yeast, is easy to use in this bread recipe. Rapid-rise yeast does not need to be bloomed first and can simply be mixed with the other dry ingredients. It is different than active dry yeast, which needs to be bloomed in warm water before use.
Jalapeno Peppers: One jalapeno pepper will be seeded and diced to go into the bread dough. A second jalapeno pepper is sliced and added to the top of the loaf before being baked. If you don’t want quite as much heat, you could leave off the second jalapeno pepper. Or, add more for even more of a kick to each bite!
Cheese: Both shredded cheddar and shredded mozzarella cheese are added to the bread dough. You could also try different combinations of cheese if preferred.
Can I Make This Bread With A Shorter Rise Time?
I would highly encourage you to let the jalapeno cheddar bread rise for 18 hours. Letting it rise at room temperature (no need to refrigerate) for this length of time resulted in a deeper flavor and more bubbles on the crust. The crumb was more like sourdough bread with large holes. However, if in a time constraint, you could let it rise for as few as 3 hours. The crumb was tighter when tested with a shorter rise time, and the flavor wasn’t quite as developed, but it was still delicious!
Can I Make Jalapeno Cheddar Bread Without A Dutch Oven?
This jalapeno cheddar bread recipe specifically calls for a Dutch oven for best results. It gives the bread a crusty top with a soft inside. However, you could try making it in a different oven-safe pan like a loaf or springform pan, or even make a freeform loaf on a sheet pan. But, you will need some sort of oven-safe lid to use. If using a different pan, you may have to adjust the baking time and the final results may differ.
How To Serve Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
Jalapeno Cheddar Bread can be served in a variety of delicious ways. Here are some suggestions:
- Toast a slice and add a pat of butter.
- Use slices to make a flavorful sandwich. I love it with grilled chicken, turkey, or ham, plus all of the fixings you love!
- Cut the bread into chunks and serve it with a side of cheese dip or your favorite dipping sauce.
- Include it on a cheese and charcuterie board.
- Make gourmet grilled cheese with the bread!
How to Store Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
If you are planning to enjoy the bread within a few days, here are some suggestions for storing it at room temperature:
- In addition to keeping the bread at room temperature (60°F to 80°F), keep the bread in a darker place, away from sunlight.
- When cutting a slice of bread, first, cut the loaf in half (yes, in the middle and not at the end). Then, when you cut a slice or two, you can put the two halves of bread back together, limiting exposure to a cut end.
- Wrap the loaf in plastic or aluminum foil.
- Enjoy it within 2-3 days. Otherwise, for longer storage, freeze the bread.
How to Freeze Bread
If you are not planning to enjoy the bread within a few days, freeze it! To freeze bread:
- Let the bread cool completely.
- Wrap the loaf (or portion of the loaf) in aluminum foil; then, store it in a sealed plastic bag.
- Place the bread in a colder part of the freezer, away from the door.
When ready to enjoy the bread, remove it from the freezer and unwrap it. Store it in a zipped plastic bag at room temperature. Or, to enjoy the bread right away, remove it from the plastic bag. Then, while still in the foil wrapping, heat it up in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 450°F.
Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon rapid-rise yeast
- 1 ½ cups water, room temperature
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded, diced
- ½ cup (56.5 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup (56.5 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and yeast. Whisk together until combined.
- Add water and mix until combined.
- Fold in the diced jalapenos, cheese, and garlic.
- Pour the mixture into a clean, greased bowl and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise at room temperature for 18 hours*. The dough should be doubled in size.
- When ready, place the dough onto a floured piece of parchment paper. Shape it into a ball by stretching and folding the dough over. Spray the dough with nonstick cooking spray before covering it with plastic. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a very sharp knife (like a paring knife or bread lame), score the top of the loaf with an “x” and top with the sliced jalapeno.
- Place a Dutch oven (I used a 4 quart) into a cold oven. Preheat the oven and pot to 450°F.
- Once preheated, carefully transfer the dough with the parchment paper to the hot Dutch oven and top with sliced jalapenos. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake for 15 additional minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Carefully remove the loaf from the Dutch oven and allow it to cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
Wow! So delicious! The Jalapeno Cheddar Bread had just the right amount of cheese and jalapeno, making it the perfect addition to any meal! I will definitely be making some grown-up grilled cheese with this recipe!
This bread definitely has heat and flavor from jalapeno peppers, and the texture is perfectly soft and dense. This would be an upgrade on sandwich bread for sure!
I love bread, especially any kind of Dutch oven overnight rise bread. The jalapeños and cheese are a delicious combination in this version! I could eat the whole loaf for sure.
This bread is a lovely flavor combination! Perfect for a grilled cheese or any quick sandwich!
I am tempted to eat this entire loaf in one sitting. It is that good. The jalapeños and cheese add so much flavor! The bread itself is delicious as is, but it could also be great for sandwiches!
This bread is so delicious and easy. I love the subtle spice from the jalapenos and the richness the cheese adds!