Mexican inspired Tortilla Pinwheels are flour tortillas that are wrapped around a cheesy mixture loaded with chiles, green onions, black beans, corn, jalapeno peppers, and taco seasoning. Try my Cheesy Bacon Chicken Pinwheels for another party appetizer favorite!
Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels
This appetizer is the perfect treat to serve on Taco Tuesday! There is no meat in the pinwheels (you can add some if you want!), but they are full of taco fixings and taco seasoning for plenty of flavors. Pinwheels are always the first to be eaten at any party or potluck I have been to. But, don’t wait until a party to serve them. They are great to have around as a quick snack or light lunch.
Now, I know these are NOT authentic Mexican, please don’t come after me. The base to the sauce is taco seasoning, so they definitely lean to the side of Mexican INSPIRED pinwheels. But that would be a mouthful of a title!
Tortilla Pinwheels Ingredients
This recipe is as easy to put together as it is full of flavor.
Flour Tortillas: I was able to fill 12, 8-inch tortillas with the mixture. If you are feeling motivated, make your own homemade flour tortillas for this recipe!
Cream Cheese: It is best to use room-temperature cream cheese. One trick to get the cold cream cheese to room temperature fast is to fill a metal dish with hot water and submerge the contents of the foil packet into the water. The cream cheese will be at room temperature in about 5-10 minutes. You can also take the block of cream cheese out of the package, cut it into small pieces, and let it come to room temperature.
Taco Seasoning: If you don’t have any seasoning on hand, make your own taco seasoning! Homemade seasonings pack more flavor than storebought seasonings.
Jalapeno Pepper: You don’t have to add the pepper if you don’t want to, but if you are adding it, get it seeded and diced first.
How to Serve
My kids were obsessed with these dipped in salsa. You could pick any common dipping sauce for these, but the truth is you probably don’t need one at all. 🙂
How to Store Tortilla Pinwheels
Refrigerate any leftovers within 2 hours of sitting out at room temperature. They will last up to 3 days in the fridge, but they are best when eaten within a day or two.
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (113 g) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (230 g) sour cream, room temperature
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 12 flour tortillas, 8 inches
- salsa, optional, for dipping
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, shredded cheese, and sour cream together until well blended.
- Stir in the green chiles, corn, jalapeno, black beans, green onion, and taco seasoning.
- Divide cream cheese mixture evenly between the tortilla shells and spread out into an even layer. Roll each tortilla up tightly.
- Place the rolled-up tortillas in a baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- When ready, unwrap the tortillas and cut them into ¾-inch pieces. Serve with salsa (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
How can I keep your recipes?