Sausage Soup is a simple soup to make, but not a simple soup in taste! It is thick and creamy, and it has an Italian flavor to it. Pair it with some Country Garlic Cheese Bread for a complete meal!
There is something about a hearty soup on a cold, winter day that warms you up. Sometimes, soup is more of a side dish or appetizer. But, Sausage Soup is loaded with Italian sausage that makes this soup more of a main event rather than just an opening act. It is a cheesy, flavorful soup that would pair well with some bread and Roasted Parmesan Green Beans.
Sausage Soup Recipe
There is not a whole lot of chopping and cutting up of ingredients for this soup, which makes it pretty easy to make. Plus, it’s great to make ahead of time and freeze for future meals! I will get to that at the end.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Italian sausage–I like the flavor of Italian sausage for this recipe, but for a leaner soup, try it with Italian seasoned ground turkey.
- Tomato paste
- Diced tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Cream cheese
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Sausage Soup
Sausage Soup is simple to make and would be a great dinner idea for the entire family! It has enough protein to keep even the hungriest eater satisfied.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, and cook them until they are soft.
- The garlic goes in next, cooking for only about a minute.
- Next, add the sausage meat, cooking it until it is no longer pink. (If you are checking it with a cooking thermometer, sausage should read 160°F-165°F.)
- Stir in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, cream cheese, and chicken broth.
- Mix in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
- Cover the pan, cooking the Sausage Soup on low for about 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley and more parmesan cheese.
Can I Freeze Sausage Soup?
Yes! Sausage Soup is a perfect meal to make ahead of time and freeze for those chaotic nights that you need something on the table quickly! After you make the soup, let it cool completely and put it in sealed freezer bags or containers. Be sure to leave some room at the top of your freezer containers to allow for the soup to expand when frozen. Date the containers, using it within 3 months.
When you are ready to eat it, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours. (If you are in a bind and need the soup faster, you can always immerse the soup in warm water to speed up the thawing process.) To reheat, in a pot, bring the soup to a boil before turning the heat down to let it simmer for about 15 minutes. I would not recommend reheating in the microwave, especially if it is in plastic containers. Once the soup is warm and ready to eat, don’t forget to garnish it with parsley and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Looking for More Hearty Soups?
Hearty and creamy Sausage Soup is made with Italian sausage and packs lots of flavor in a soup that is filling enough to be a meal.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil to the pan over medium heat and add onions, and cook until slightly soft.
Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add sausage meat, break up with a spatula, and cook until it’s no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, cream cheese, and chicken broth.
- Stir in heavy cream and Parmesan cheese to the sausage soup.
Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low, allowing the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and more parmesan.