Sheet Pan Roasted Salsa Chicken is chicken breasts nestled in tomatoes, jalapenos, and red onions, all seasoned with blackened seasoning for a flavorful dinner! Roasting everything on a sheet pan not only makes this recipe easy to prepare but also blends all the flavors deliciously with a little kick in every bite! I also have Air Fryer Blackened Salmon, also seasoned with homemade blackened seasoning, that you will love!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken: I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe. You could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if preferred. Just make sure the chicken is fully cooked, reaching an internal temperature of 165°F.
Blackened Seasoning: Blackened seasoning is a spice that falls between a cajun and a creole spice. Instead of buying a brand off the shelf at the grocery store, make homemade seasoning for the most flavor! You probably already have what you need to make it! You will mix the seasoning with olive oil, pouring some on the vegetables and brushing the rest on the chicken.
Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes add a burst of sweetness and acidity to the dish. You could substitute Roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or even regular-sized tomatoes, cut into wedges. Depending on the size of the cherry tomatoes, you may want to cut them in half.
Jalapeno Pepper: The jalapeno pepper adds more heat to this dish. You can certainly leave it out if preferred. The blackened seasoning already provides some spiciness to the chicken and vegetables.
Onion: Red onions have a mild, slightly sweet taste that complements the other flavors. You could substitute white or yellow onions if that is what you have on hand.
How To Serve Sheet Pan Roasted Salsa Chicken
There are many delicious ways to serve this dish to make it a well-rounded meal. Here are some of my favorites:
- Serve the chicken and vegetables over cilantro lime rice.
- Cut up the chicken and add it, along with the vegetables, to a tortilla to make a wrap.
- Pair the dish with a side of refried beans.
- Cornbread would offer a slightly sweet contrast.
- Start the meal with a wedge salad.
How To Store Sheet Pan Roasted Salsa Chicken
To store sheet pan roasted salsa chicken, first, let it cool completely. Next, store the chicken with the vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven or in the microwave.
Sheet Pan Roasted Salsa Chicken
- ¼ cup (54 g) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons blackened seasoning
- 1 package (10 ounces) cherry tomatoes
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, sliced into rounds (about ¼ cup)
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced into ½ -inch pieces (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 2 pounds, pounded to an even thickness
- salt, to taste
- lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine oil and blackened seasoning.
- To the lined baking sheet, add tomatoes, jalapenos, and red onion. Pour half of the oil mixture onto the vegetables, tossing to coat.
- Brush the chicken breasts evenly on all sides with the remaining oil mixture.
- Nestle the chicken among the vegetables.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and the vegetables are roasted.
- Salt to taste. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
This was so delicious. I will definitely whip this up at home. It's the perfect sheet pan dinner for the busy family!
I loved this chicken dish! Both the chicken and the vegetables have a little kick to them from the blackened seasoning with more heat from jalapeno peppers. And, it's a sheet pan meal which makes for easy clean-up! I will be making this at home, for sure!
Such an easy quick sheet pan dinner to throw together! I loved this and it is fantastic over rice.
This is so flavorful! It has a little kick, but it doesn't drown out the flavor, which is absolutely out of this world!
This is a very flavorful dinner that is easy to prepare any day of the week! The seasoning really takes the chicken and vegetables to the next level.
This is really delicious. I really like the blackened seasoning flavors and it works so well with these veggies.