Copycat Cilantro Lime Rice will enhance your white rice with the tangy flavors of cilantro and lime for a delectable side dish. This copycat recipe of Chipotle’s famous cilantro lime rice is sure to please and is perfect to pair with Copycat Chipotle Chicken.
Rice: This recipe calls for long-grain white rice, the best type for side dishes, pilafs, and salads. The varieties of long-grain rice include American white and brown rice, Basmati, and Jasmine. Any of these can be used for the recipe.
Cilantro: Fresh cilantro is used in this recipe. It’s a flavor that some people love, but some stay away from it altogether. Wash the cilantro well before using it. Remove the leaves and discard the stems. Chop or rip the leaves to the size you prefer.
Lime: For optimal flavor in this recipe, you will need both the zest of half a lime and its juice. Start by zesting half of the lime before juicing it. Then, squeeze out the juice. You will use approximately 1 teaspoon of zest and 1 tablespoon of lime juice in the recipe.
Delicious Ways to Serve Cilantro Rice
Yes, you can enjoy this flavorful rice on its own, but there are a few other ways to enjoy it, too!
- Serve it as a side dish to tacos, burritos, or fajitas. And, you can make your own flour tortillas to use!
- Use it as a base for a chicken burrito bowl (or a bowl made with shrimp, steak, or vegetables). Don’t forget the refried beans, too!
- Fill in bell peppers for Stuffed Peppers.
How to Store Homemade Cilantro Lime Rice
Leftovers? No problem. Here is how to store homemade cilantro lime rice:
- Allow the rice to cool completely after cooking.
- Transfer the rice to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To reheat, use the microwave or stovetop. (You may need to add a little bit of oil or broth when reheating to keep the rice moist.)
How to Freeze Rice for Meal Planning
Rice to great to make ahead of time and freeze, especially if you are into meal planning. If you make a double or triple batch of this rice, store the leftovers to eat later. To freeze the rice, first, let it cool completely. Then, equally, divide the rice into freezer-safe, zipped bags. Label and date each bag; the rice will last 6-8 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator and heat it up in the microwave when ready to eat.
More Chipotle Inspired Recipes
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 4 cups long-grain rice, cooked per package instructions
- ½ medium lime, zested and juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice with the zest of a lime, lime juice, fresh cilantro, butter, and salt.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What would you use instead of the cilantro? My husband and I are in the small percentage that get a soap flavor from it…which is REALLY sad because SOOOOO many recipes use it now.