White Bean Chicken Chili makes a delicious meal full of spicy chili flavor, chicken, and white beans. This recipe is a simple and delicious take on chili that even your kids will love! If you are looking for a more traditional chili recipe, be sure to try my Grandma’s Homemade Chili.
White Bean Chicken Chili
Nothing says fall like chili. We make all different variations throughout the year, but as soon as that fall breeze starts to surface, this is the one I crave. It is so simple, and my kids devour it. I feel good about it because it is made with things that are high in protein and, let’s be honest, with 5 growing children, foods that are high in protein are a must. Does anyone else here “Mooooom, I’m huuuuuungry” in their sleep? No? OK, maybe it is just me.
White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
This White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe is one of those that you can throw into a large dutch oven and let simmer. Like most of us, it gets better with age. The longer this chili recipe has to cook, the better the flavors meld together. Speaking of flavors, have I mentioned how easy this is to put together? You will be amazed! This chili has everything, it is high in protein, high in flavor, your family will love it, and you can eat a bowl guilt-free because it is good for you!
What Beans Should I use in This Chili?
I suggest that you use Great Northern Beans. They have the smooth texture that you are looking for in a recipe like this. You could also use a navy bean or a Cannellini bean but the texture will be a little different. I have heard people say that they sometimes have a hard time finding the great northern bean. I am not sure why even in my small town I am able to find it in the canned goods section.
Can I Make Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili?
Yes. Yes, you can! In fact, sometimes I prefer to make this white bean chicken chili recipe in a crockpot. The longer it sits, the better the flavor gets. Yes, you could have this meal and love the flavor without the extra cooking time. If you have the time, though, I would certainly recommend letting it sit. To make this in a crock pot you will follow the instructions in the recipe card, but use a slow cooker instead of a dutch oven. Cook on low for 2-4 hours, or if your slow cooker has a warm setting, on warm for 4-6 hours.
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 jar (18.75 ounces) Salsa Verde
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) sweet corn, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded (about 2 heaping cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, drained
- 1 medium jalapeno diced, for garnish
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Heat oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or large pot. Add onion and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, salsa verde, corn, tomatoes, and oregano.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and beans. Continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped jalapeno and cilantro.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
One final note. You simply cannot make a good hearty soup like this white bean chicken chili without the proper tools. A good dutch oven is a must! I absolutely love my Staub 6-quart dutch oven. They come with a lifetime warranty so they are worth the price tag in my opinion. Also, they are so easy to clean and care for. You also might not know that the lid has spikes on it for a reason. It helps in the basting process to redistribute moisture and juices evenly, unlike a regular flat lid.