Beer Cheese Soup combines beer with lots of sharp cheddar cheese, chicken stock, half and half, and plenty of vegetables for a creamy and delicious soup. Try my Taco Chili for another hearty soup made with beer.
Beer Cheese Soup
Beer Cheese Soup has many variations, but traditionally, the soup starts with a roux base of butter and flour (to thicken it up), sharp cheddar cheese, beer, and chicken stock. In addition, popcorn or croutons are added to the soup for some added texture and salt. I like to add some crumbled bacon to my soup as well.
Beer Cheese Soup Ingredients
Chicken stock: Use storebought, or make your own homemade chicken stock for this recipe.
Beer: We used a light beer for this recipe, but a lager is another popular choice. Or, choose a beer you have on hand (that you like to drink).
Croutons (optional): If you do add croutons, be sure to try making these homemade croutons!
How to Make Beer Cheese Soup
To get started, get out a large pot and melt 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onions, jalapeno pepper, carrots, chives, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Cook until the veggies are tender, or 8-10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and the beer and simmer on low while you prepare the cheese sauce.
To make the cheese sauce, melt the other 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until browned. Slowly add the half and half to the roux and continue to whisk until thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cheese. Stir in the cheese until it is melted.
After the cheese has melted, use an immersion blender to make the cheese sauce smooth. It will be thick. Set that aside. On a side note, if you want to use the immersion blender in the pot of soup with the veggies, you certainly can. It will make the soup even smoother.
Finally, pour the cheese sauce into the pot of soup and whisk to combine. Cook on low for 10 minutes. Serve with toppings like:
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Homemade croutons
If you don’t have an immersion blender, simply combine half the cheese sauce and half the soup in a blender. Carefully, with the lid held on tight, blend the soup to get a creamy texture. Repeat with the remaining soup.
Beer Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1-2 medium carrots, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chives, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 12 ounces light beer, or a lager
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 5 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- cooked and crumbled bacon, (optional) for garnish
- popcorn or croutons, (optional) for garnish
- In a large pot, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat.
- Add diced onions, jalapeno pepper, carrots, chives, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Cook until vegetables are tender (8-10 minutes).
- Pour in the chicken stock and beer. Simmer on low as you prepare the cheese sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk together. Cook until browned (1-2 minutes).
- Slowly add the half and half, whisking until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add the shredded cheese. Stir until melted.
- Use an immersion blender to make the cheese mixture smooth. (It will be thick.) Set aside. (Optional: You can also use the immersion blender on the vegetables for an even smoother soup.)
- Pour the cheese sauce into the pot of soup and whisk to combine. Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Serve with cooked and crumbled bacon, popcorn, and/or croutons for garnish.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Can this be frozen?
Looking for the potato pancake recipe with ground meat.