Buffalo Chicken Soup is a broth-based, but creamy soup made with chicken, vegetables, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese, flavored with buffalo sauce for a slight kick. It is a soup we could not get enough of around here! I also have a White Bean Chicken Chili you might love.
Buffalo Chicken Soup
If you are a fan of buffalo chicken you will LOVE this soup. It’s cheesy, hearty, and the heat from the buffalo sauce is not too overpowering, even for the most sensitive taste buds. We tested this a few times to get it exactly right, and I think we nailed it!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken: Look for a rotisserie chicken to shred and add to the soup. It’s so handy because it is already cooked and sometimes, you can buy it already shredded. You could also make your own rotisserie chicken.
Buffalo Sauce: As I stated above, the buffalo sauce does not make this soup too spicy to enjoy. And, you can always add more to each individual bowl of soup if you want more heat. Buffalo sauce is different than hot sauce; so if you are not making your own, check the labels carefully.
Vegetables: Grab a can of a few types of vegetables; yep, it’s that easy! I added fire-roasted tomatoes, sweet corn, and great northern beans. (If you can’t find northern beans, navy beans or cannellini beans would also work.)
Salsa Verde: Salsa verde is a spicy green sauce that gives the soup a little extra kick.
Cheese: I used both cream cheese and cheddar cheese to give the soup a creamier consistency. Cube the cream cheese to help it melt more evenly and more quickly.
This soup is very flavorful on its own, but you can certainly add some toppings and garnishes, too! Some of my favorites are:
- Jalapeno peppers
- Sour cream
- More buffalo sauce
- Queso fresco
- Blue cheese crumbles
Can I Make this Soup in a Slow Cooker?
You can throw this soup together in a slow cooker, but with how easy this recipe is to put together on the stovetop, it really wouldn’t save much time. In addition, the ingredients just need to heat up since they are already cooked. I would suggest using the slow cooker to keep it warm if needed.
How to Store Buffalo Chicken Soup
If you have any of this soup left over, let it cool completely. Then, store it in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Heat up the soup in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups (960 g) chicken broth
- 3 cups (420 g) rotisserie chicken, shredded and diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, drained
- ½ cup (128 g) buffalo sauce
- ½ cup (128 g) salsa verde
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed, room temperature
- 1 cup (113 g) mild cheddar cheese, shredded, plus more for topping
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat add oil.
- Once hot, add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken, tomatoes, corn, beans, buffalo sauce, salsa verde, and oregano. Bring to a simmer. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally until the cheeses are fully melted (10-12 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with extra buffalo sauce, jalapeno, sour cream, and cilantro, as desired.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.