Air Fryer Cheeseburgers are rolled out biscuits filled and sealed with seasoned ground beef, bacon, and lots of cheese, cooked in an air fryer for a tasty appetizer. Try my Classic Cheeseburger recipe for a traditional version of this popular burger.
Air Fryer Cheeseburger Hand Pies
These cheeseburgers are finger food that would be a perfect appetizer for a party or gathering. They are also great for a quick dinner. With air fryers all the rage right now, it’s nice to have a variety of recipes to use it! The biscuit is filled with classic cheeseburger fillings and air fried to a golden brown. Serve with a side of air fryer French Fries for a meal.
Cheeseburger Hand Pie Ingredients
There are not any fancy ingredients or surprises in this recipe. It is a classic cheeseburger (bacon cheeseburger, to be precise since I did add bacon). However, you do not need to add the bacon if you don’t want to.
Biscuits: I used storebought biscuits in this recipe. The slight sweetness of the biscuits paired will with the cheeseburger filling.
Hamburger seasoning: Hamburger seasoning is important in giving the ground beef more flavor. If you don’t have any seasoning on hand, I have a hamburger seasoning recipe here.
To get started, cook the bacon in a large skillet. When the bacon is crispy, remove it from the skillet and set it on a plate lined with a paper towel. Let it cool to crumble and add to the ground beef mixture later. Do not clean out the skillet; use the grease to cook the ground beef.
To the skillet, add the ground beef, onion, seasoned salt, hamburger seasoning, salt, and pepper. Break up the beef, mixing it with all the seasonings. Cook over medium heat until the beef is no longer pink (8-10 minutes). Crumble the bacon and add that to the skillet. Remove from heat, drain the grease, and set the skillet aside.
How to Make Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
With the filling ready to go, it’s time to get the biscuits rolled out and filled. Remove the biscuits from the can and roll each of them out to a circle about 1/8-inch thick. Evenly distribute the beef mixture onto each flattened biscuit, leaving some room around the edge.
Top each with about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and some pickles (if adding them). Wet your finger with water and rub it around the rim of each biscuit. Fold each over into a half-moon shape, pressing the edges to seal it. Take a fork and press down to make more of a seal.
When ready, spray the basket of an air fryer with nonstick cooking spray. Place a few of the cheeseburger pockets into the basket, spraying the tops with cooking spray. Air fry the cheeseburger pockets for about 5 minutes at 360°F. Flip them over and air fry them for another 4 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the pockets. They will be golden brown when done. Let them cool for a couple of minutes before biting into one–they will be hot!
Can I Make Cheeseburger Hand Pies in the Oven?
Yes! If you don’t have an air fryer, simply follow the directions as written. But, instead of placing the cheeseburger hand pies in the air fryer, use the oven. Preheat it to 350°F, place the hand pies on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes when the oven is heated.
Air Fryer Cheeseburger Hand Pies
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon hamburger seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 count) Pillsbury Grand biscuits
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- ½ cup minced pickles, optional
- ketchup, for dipping (optional)
- mustard, for dipping (optional)
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and set on a paper towel-lined plate to cool. (Do not clean out the skillet.)
- To the skillet, add ground beef, onion, seasoned salt, hamburger seasoning, salt, and pepper. Break up the beef and incorporate all of the seasonings. Cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain the grease and remove from the heat.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and add it back to the pan. Set aside as you roll out the biscuit dough.
- Remove the biscuits from the can and place them on a clean work surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten each biscuit to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Evenly distribute the ground beef mixture on top of the flattened biscuits, leaving room around the rim of the circle. Top each with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and a tablespoon of pickles (if adding).
- To fold the cheeseburger biscuits, wet your finger with water and rub it around the rim of each biscuit. Fold each into a half-moon shape, sealing it.
- Using a fork, press the edges together to bind the seal.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer with nonstick cooking spray. Working in batches, place the pockets in the basket.
- Spray the tops of the pockets with cooking spray.
- Air fry at 360°F for 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn over the pockets and air fry for another 4 minutes.
- Using a pair of tongs, remove the cheeseburgers from the air fryer and serve hot. Garnish with ketchup and mustard.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.