Cheesy Mushroom Pastries are like a bunch of mini mushroom pizzas at your fingertips! Squares of puff pastry are loaded with Gruyere cheese and sauteed mushrooms that make a flavorful appetizer! For another delicious appetizer, try my Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms.
Cheesy Mushroom Pastry
I am not a huge fan of mushrooms, but these Cheesy Mushroom Pastries are so delicious I would definitely make them again! This warm and cheesy snack is perfect for an appetizer to share or a meal just for me! Cheesy Mushroom Pastries are delicious finger food that starts with a frozen pastry and ends with ooey gooey melted cheese.
Cheesy Mushroom Pastry Recipe
It’s all about the sauteed mushrooms and nutty cheese in this Cheesy Mushroom Pastry Recipe.
Mushrooms Ingredients (full recipe below)
- Baby Bella mushrooms
- Garlic, minced
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Puff pastry, thawed
- Egg, for egg wash
- Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Thyme leaves
How to Make the Mushrooms
The first step in making Cheesy Mushroom Pastries is preparing the mushrooms. While you are preparing the mushrooms, preheat the oven to 400°F. To make the mushrooms, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots, cooking for about 5 minutes. Next, add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic, sauteeing for about 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
Assembling the Pastries
Now that you have the mushrooms ready, it’s easy to prepare the pastries.
- Cut 16 squares (about 2 inches by 2 inches) out of your thawed puff pastry dough. (You might have some extra dough.)
- Place the squares on two lined baking sheets. Brush the egg wash over each square of puff pastry.
- Sprinkle each with your shredded cheese, topped with a spoonful of the mushroom mixture.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Add more cheese and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Sprinkle the tops of the bites with thyme and watch these Cheesy Mushroom Pastries disappear!
Do I Have to Use Gruyere Cheese?
If you want a nice and creamy cheese to top your puff pastry, then yes, you have to use Gruyere cheese for your Cheesy Mushroom Pastries. Plus, Gruyere cheese has an earthy, nutty flavor that should not be confused with regular Swiss cheese you can find at the store. Fortunately, Gruyere cheese is easier to find than it used to be. However, if you MUST use an alternative cheese, look for Comte cheese, Emmental, or Jarlsberg cheese. Any cheese you choose should be a high moisture cheese for better melting.
How to Mince Garlic
Fresh is always better when it comes to ingredients, and garlic is no exception. Please do not go out and buy minced garlic in a jar, thinking you will save time. You will not save enough time for this to be worth it. If you have a fork and a garlic clove, you can have minced garlic. I’m serious! Simply peel the garlic clove and press down with the tines of your fork. Then, press down again in another direction. Keep doing this until you have the clove as minced as you want. (Don’t forget to take out the garlic stem.) You can also smash the clove with the side of a knife and chop from there. You got this!
Looking for other Mushroom Recipes?
Cheesy Mushroom Pastry
Topped with baby Bella mushrooms and Gruyere cheese, Cheesy Mushroom Pastries are the perfect appetizer!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten for egg wash
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Worcestershire sauce and sauté, stirring often, about 15 minutes until mushrooms are browned and all liquid has evaporated.
Season to taste with salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cut the puff pastry into 16 2-inch squares and place eight on each baking sheet. (you will likely have some leftover dough)
Brush the egg wash onto each square.
Top each square with a sprinkle of cheese, a spoonful of the mushroom mixture
Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and top each square with a little more cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
Top with fresh thyme.