Chicken Alfredo Pasta Casserole is a creamy pasta dish that is made with freshly roasted garlic and rotisserie chicken, topped with mozzarella cheese. Try my Cajun Chicken with Roasted Garlic Alfredo for another roasted garlic favorite.
Chicken Alfredo Pasta Casserole
This recipe all starts with roasted garlic. Then, it’s about the perfectly cooked pasta, homemade alfredo sauce, rotisserie chicken, and plenty of cheese! It’s a creamy dish that is comfort food at its tastiest. This would be a perfect dish to warm you up and satisfy your hunger on a cold night.
Chicken Alfredo Pasta Casserole Ingredients
Pasta: Choose your favorite shape of pasta; I love cavatappi noodles for a dish like this. It really absorbs all the creamy alfredo sauce. Make sure to get that cooked before adding it to the casserole.
Parmesan Cheese: I like to splurge and get a really good parmesan cheese and grate it myself.
Rotisserie Chicken: Make this slow cooker rotisserie chicken to use in this recipe. Or, grab one at your local grocery store. Sometimes, the deli will have rotisserie chicken already shredded and ready to use.
The first thing you will want to do for this recipe is to roast the garlic. It is so easy and it smells (and tastes) amazing! All you need is a head of garlic and a square of tin foil. Preheat the oven to 400°F as you prepare the garlic.
To roast the garlic, use your fingers to peel away all the loose, papery, outer layers around the head of garlic. Leave the head itself intact with all the cloves connected. Trim about 1/4 inch off the top of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves inside. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, letting the oil saturate the cloves. Wrap it up in the square of aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Note: Cooking time will depend on the age of the garlic. Garlic is done cooking when the center clove is soft. Once slightly cooled, the cloves should be tender and should easily pop out of the paper. Place roasted cloves on a plate and set aside.
How to Make Chicken Alfredo Pasta Casserole
After the garlic has been roasted, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F as you prepare the casserole. First, in a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes. Next, add heavy cream, chicken stock, salt, pepper, onion powder, parsley, basil, and roasted garlic. Bring this mixture to a slow, rolling boil. Reduce the heat and gently boil for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened.
Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Add the shredded chicken, cooked pasta noodles, and one cup of mozzarella cheese. Toss to coat and mix everything together. Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbling.
Remove the casserole from the oven to rest a few minutes before serving. Serve with a side of homemade garlic breadsticks or Country Garlic Cheese Bread. For a vegetable to round out the meal, try my Roasted Parmesan Green Beans or Roasted Asparagus.
Chicken Alfredo Pasta Casserole
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound (16 ounces) cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups shredded Rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and set out a 6-inch square of aluminum foil.
- Use your fingers to peel away all the loose, papery, outer layers around the head of garlic. (Leave the head itself intact with all the cloves connected.)
- Trim about ¼ inch off the top of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves inside.
- Place garlic in the center of the square of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil, letting the oil saturate the cloves.
- Fold the sides of the aluminum foil up to the center and seal (creating a foil packet with the garlic inside). Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the garlic cloves are soft and deep golden brown.
- Remove the garlic from the oven and carefully open the sealed foil packet to allow the garlic to cool slightly. Once it is cool enough to touch, use your fingers to squeeze out the cloves. Discard the remaining skin.
- Chop garlic and set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 350°F and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add flour and whisk, cooking 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add cream, chicken stock, salt, pepper, onion powder, parsley, basil, and roasted garlic. Bring to a slow rolling boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Add the shredded chicken, the cooked noodles, and a cup of the mozzarella cheese. Toss to coat.
- Pour the pasta into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.