Crazy Crust Pizza is a thin crust pizza that lives up to its name by using a liquid batter rather than a traditional dough for its crust! If you are looking for a more traditional pizza, be sure to check out my pizza dough recipe which is the perfect classic pizza crust.
Crazy Crust Pizza
Crazy Crust Pizza has recently gone viral on TikTok, so of course, I had to try it out for myself! However, the recipe that is going viral is NOT the original. The tiktok recipe actually looks like a giant soft pancake crust. I feel bad for anyone who is trying that version!
The original Crazy Crust Pizza recipe is from a bag of Pillsbury flour from 1969. It really is crazy how this pizza comes together perfectly using a liquid crust. (Hint: it is essentially a dutch baby) It ends up coming out thin and crispy, making everybody want to go back for more! This recipe is so simple.
Crazy Crust Pizza Ingredients
Flour: I use all-purpose flour for this recipe. Because of its lower gluten content, it yields a perfectly balanced chewy, yet delightfully crispy crust.
Pepperoni: This is my all-time favorite pizza topping! I love a classic pepperoni pizza, but other toppings can easily be substituted as well.
Pizza Sauce: I love my homemade pizza sauce, but store-bought sauce works just as great in a pinch!
Can I Make This Without Pepperoni?
Of course! Italian sausage, ground beef, Canadian bacon, chicken … the options are endless! If substituting the pepperoni with another meat, just be sure that it is precooked, and add it directly on top of the wet batter during the first bake, just like you would with the pepperoni.
Can I add Veggies to my Pizza?
Absolutely! I made a veggie version of this pizza using onions, peppers, and jalapeños, and it was amazing. You could use any veggies you want, again, just be sure that you add any toppings (aside from the cheese and sauce) directly onto the wet batter during the first bake, as this ensures everything is cooked well.
Would Crazy Crust Pizza Work In a Skillet?
Yes! I have made it in a large oven-safe skillet, and it was still very tasty. It really comes down to personal preference. If a crispier, thinner crust is your preference, I recommend using the baking sheet. The skillet will yield a thicker, chewier crust pizza.
Crazy Crust Pizza
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (163g) whole milk, room temperature
- 1 cup (5 ounces) pepperoni slices, about 75 slices
- 1 cup (257g) pizza sauce
- 2 cups (113g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- parsley, optional for garnish
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a rimmed 10×15-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, eggs, and milk. Stir until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan, making sure it evenly covers the bottom of the pan.
- Top with pepperoni and bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Slice and serve hot, garnished with parsley if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.