Pizza Sauce is a homemade tomato-based sauce that requires no cooking and is better than any jar of pizza sauce you can buy. Use it on your favorite pizza crust recipe , Focaccia Pepperoni Pizza , or even Pizza Sliders the next time you are craving something Italian!
Yes, you can go to your local grocery store or supermarket to grab a jar or can of pizza sauce. But, did you realize how easy it is to make your own? This tomato paste-based sauce is seasoned just right and can be used for more than just pizza. And, there is no cooking involved! Use it in my Skillet Pizza Dip, pizza rolls, or as a dip for my garlic knots! It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days so you will have it when you need it!
Tomato Paste: This is a tomato-based sauce, so grab a can of tomato paste as the base. This gives the sauce lots of tomato flavor.
Seasonings: Add minced garlic, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and pepper to the tomato paste.
Water: Add some water to the sauce to thin it out a bit. You could start with a lesser amount for a thicker sauce, but we were satisfied with the sauce using the full cup.
Oil: Use extra virgin olive oil for best results.
How to Make Pizza Sauce
Since there is no cooking involved when making this pizza sauce, it really couldn’t get much easier. To make it, simply whisk together all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Then, let the sauce rest for 1-2 hours at room temperature before using.
Can I Use the Sauce Right Away without Letting it Rest?
Well, you could, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It really is worth the wait. By waiting, it gives the seasonings time to blend together for the most robust flavors. If you are not using the sauce after 1-2 hours, store it in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5 days. It makes 1 2/3 cups of sauce.
Can I Freeze Pizza Sauce?
Yes! This homemade sauce is easy to freeze. To freeze it, pour the sauce into freezer-safe containers. Leave some room at the top before you seal the container. Freeze the sauce for up to 3 months.
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (250g) water
- ¼ cup (54.5g) extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium mixing bowl add tomato paste, garlic, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper, water, and oil. Whisk until well combined.
- Cover and let rest at room temperature for 1-2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. (This is optional, but recommended.)
- After 1-2 hours at room temperature, use on your favorite pizza dough or recipe. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.