Garlic Cream Cheese Rolls are buttery rolls that melt in your mouth and are filled and rolled with a garlicky and cheesy mixture you will taste in every savory bite. If you love buttery garlic bread, be sure to also try my Cheesy Garlic Bread.
Garlic Cream Cheese Rolls
These rolls take the buttery soft dough of my Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls. But, they are made into a buttery, savory roll that is baked with a garlicky, cream cheese center. With the added chives, there is also a hint of onion flavor that I love!
How to Make the Dough
The base for these rolls is one of the easiest doughs to work in part due to the ingredients and in part due to the process. To make this dough, whisk together the milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and the yeast. Let that sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes. The mixture will get a little foamy. Add in eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Next, move to your stand mixer. Make sure it is fitted with a dough hook. In the bowl, combine the remaining sugar, flour, and salt. Add the milk mixture and turn the mixer on low. Slowly add pads of butter, blending well between additions.
Once everything is combined, turn the mixer to medium for 1 minute and then switch to medium-high to knead until the dough is soft (about 5 minutes). You can always add more flour (about a tablespoon at a time) if the dough is not coming together.
How to Make Garlic Cream Cheese Rolls
Once your dough is rolled out the rest is easy!
- Beat together cream cheese, chives, and minced garlic.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the dough. Top with shredded cheese.
- Roll dough into a log.
- Cut rolls into 12 pieces.
- Place into the pan.
- Rise one more time, then bake.
How to Make the Butter Topping
These buttery rolls are made even more buttery and garlicky with the flavorful topping. To make the topping, combine the melted butter with the garlic, chives, and salt in a small bowl. Brush that over the warm rolls. Finally, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve warm and serve with Spaghetti with Meatballs.
Can I Make Roast Beef Rolls Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Just prepare the rolls up to the “baking” section in the instructions and then wrap them in plastic wrap and then refrigerate for up to 24 hours. You can bake them right out of the refrigerator.
More Bread Recipes
Garlic Cream Cheese Rolls
- ⅔ cup (163 g) whole milk, warmed in the microwave for about 30 seconds
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 ¾ cups (344 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (1 stick / 113 g) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Garlic Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons chives, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups (226 g) white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chives, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated and sprinkled on top
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk and 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the milk and whisk to blend. Let sit until the yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs. Whisk until smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, the flour, and the salt.
- Add the milk mixture. With the mixer running, add butter, 1 piece at a time, blending well between additions.
- Knead on medium speed for 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium-high speed and knead until the dough is soft (about 5 minutes). Add more flour, a tablespoon at a time, if the dough doesn't come together.
- Brush a medium bowl with some melted butter. Place the dough in the bowl and brush the top of the dough with the remaining melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- When you are ready, punch the dough, turn it out onto a floured surface, and roll it into a 10×15-inch rectangle. (It should be about ¼-inch thick.)
Garlic Cream Cheese Filling
- To make the cream cheese filling, beat together the cream cheese, chives, and garlic until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the dough. Top the mixture with the shredded cheese.
- Roll the dough up tightly, starting on the long edge.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the log into 12 rolls. Place them into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- To make the butter topping, combine the melted butter with the garlic, chives, and salt in a small bowl.
- Brush the buttery topping over the warm rolls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Can you make these and freeze for later?
These rolls are divine! I’ve made them at least ten times now. Can I prepare them ahead??
When making the filling, you say add salt, in the ingredients it doesn’t have salt. How much goes in.
No salt in the filling, thanks for catching that Ruth.
Bake cover or uncovered?
Wow they are drool worthy
Can’t wait to try these rolls , sound so good.
Could you send a copy of Turtle Thumbprint Cookies to me at the e-mail provided in this sign up.