Buffalo Chicken Focaccia Bread is homemade focaccia bread that is layered with a buffalo chicken mixture and two kinds of cheese. Try my Buffalo Chicken Pull-Apart Bread for another cheesy, buffalo chicken recipe.
Buffalo Chicken Focaccia Bread
As soon as I made my Focaccia Pepperoni Pizza and tasted how delicious it was, I knew I had to try other focaccia toppings! (I even have a Jalapeno Honey Focaccia Bread!) This Buffalo Chicken Focaccia Bread is loaded with buffalo chicken, made with homemade buffalo sauce, and two kinds of cheese. I ended up layering the bread dough for a hearty and filling bread. And, the bonus part was making this recipe in a cast-iron skillet. You will love the thick crust!
Buffalo Chicken Focaccia Bread Ingredients
Crust: It all starts with my focaccia bread recipe. The Italian bread makes for a delicious crust that is like a deep-dish pizza crust.
Toppings: The toppings for this bread include ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, shredded rotisserie chicken, cheddar, and mozzarella cheese. These toppings with be layered in between and on top of the bread. You could also use blue cheese dressing if you prefer.
Focaccia Bread Dough
To make Buffalo Chicken Focaccia Bread, start by preparing the dough. In a large bowl, combine the yeast, water, and sugar. Stir this together and let it rest for five minutes. While that is resting, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, salt, and Italian seasoning.
Pour half of the olive oil mixture into the yeast mixture, setting the other half of the oil mixture aside for later. Stir in the flour and put the dough into a greased bowl. Cover the dough with a tea towel for about an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Focaccia Bread
After the dough has risen, it’s time to get the bread made! First, combine the ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, and shredded chicken in a large bowl. Next, prepare a 12-inch cast-iron skillet by brushing the remaining oil mixture into the bottom of the skillet.
Then, place half of the dough into the skillet, pressing it out to the edges. Gently press fingers into the dough to create dimples. Top the first layer of dough with one cup of the chicken mixture, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Fold the other half of the dough out onto a sheet of parchment paper. Use your hands to form a 12-inch circle with the dough. Invert the parchment paper over the layers of chicken mixture and cheeses. Remove the parchment paper, leaving the top layer of the dough in the skillet. Again, use your fingers to gently dimple the dough.
Add the remaining chicken mixture to the top layer of dough. Bake for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, top with the remaining cheddar and mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 14-16 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. When done, drizzle some extra buffalo sauce and ranch dressing on top. Serve with parsley for an optional garnish.
As a side note, if you don’t want to mess with the layers in this bread, simply place all the dough in the skillet as the bottom crust and top with all of the chicken mixture. Bake for 12 minutes; then, add all the cheese and bake another 14-16 minutes.
No Cast-Iron Skillet? No Problem!
If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet to make this Buffalo Chicken Focaccia Bread, you can use a baking dish. Use a 9×11-inch baking dish or even a 9×13-inch dish (but the crust will be thinner). Follow the instructions as written.
Buffalo Chicken Focaccia Bread
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2½ cups (312.5g) flour
- ¼ cup ranch dressing, plus more for drizzling
- ½ cup buffalo sauce, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- parsley, chopped for garnish, optional
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, water, and sugar. Stir and let it rest 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic.
- Pour half of the oil mixture into the yeast mixture. Set the remaining oil aside.
- Add flour and stir to combine.
- Add dough to a greased bowl and cover with a tea towel. Rest for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, and shredded chicken.
- Pour the remaining oil mixture into a 12-inch, cast-iron skillet. Use a pastry brush to coat the pan.
- Add half the dough to the skillet and work the dough to the edges. Use your fingers to create dimples in the dough.
- Top the dough with 1 cup of the chicken mixture, ½ cup of the cheddar cheese, and ½ cup of mozzarella.
- Fold the other half of the dough out onto a sheet of parchment paper. Use your hands to form the dough into a 12-inch circle. Invert the parchment paper over the cheese and carefully peel back the paper, leaving the top layer of dough in the skillet.
- Use your fingers to gently dimple the top of the dough. Top with the remaining chicken mixture and bake for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, top with the remaining cheeses and bake an additional 14-16 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- When done, drizzle extra buffalo sauce and ranch dressing over the pizza. Serve hot, garnished with parsley (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.