Buffalo Chicken Bread is two halves of Italian bread, brushed with butter, and topped with a cheesy buffalo chicken mixture, baked until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Cut the bread into individual pieces for serving. It’s a delicious appetizer to share! If you love buffalo chicken, be sure to check out my Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Bread: Look for a loaf of Italian bread. Ciabatta bread would also be a delicious choice!
Rotisserie chicken: If you can’t get to the store for chicken, make your own rotisserie chicken. If you do pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store, they sometimes have some already shredded. My shredded chicken recipe would also be delicious in this recipe.
Buffalo sauce: If you make your own sauce, you can make it as hot or as not as you like! Storebought works just as well also.
Cheeses: I used both mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese for the bread. However, you could certainly experiment with other kinds of cheese. Try sprinkling blue cheese crumbles on top or use provolone or gouda cheese in the mix.
How to Serve Buffalo Chicken Bread
This cheesy bread is definitely a rich and filling bread that can easily be cut into your preferred size. Because of the added protein in the bread, this bread could definitely be served as a main course. Add a vegetable like oven-roasted asparagus, green beans, or Brussels sprouts to round out the meal.
How to Store Buffalo Chicken Bread
To store buffalo chicken bread, first, let it cool completely. Then, wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Store the bread in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat it in the oven for the best results. Reheating the bread in the microwave will make the bread soggy.
More Bread Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Bread
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 57 g) unsalted butter, melted, or more depending on loaf size
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup (91 g) buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoons milk (optional, I just prefer a loose consistency)
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 cup (113 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cups (169.5 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the loaf of bread lengthwise into two halves. Place both halves of the bread onto the lined baking sheet, cut-sized up.
- In a small bowl combine the melted butter and parsley.
- Brush the cut sides of the bread with the butter and parsley mixture.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer until creamy. Add buffalo sauce and milk.
- To the cream cheese mixture, add the chicken and mozzarella cheese. Stir until combined.
- Spoon half of the cream cheese mixture over each half of the buttered Italian bread.
- Top each with ¾ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. (Optional: Place the bread in the oven's broiler for the last 1-2 minutes of baking, keeping a close eye on it to prevent burning. This will give the bread a nicely browned, crispy finish.)
- Cut buffalo chicken Italian bread into pieces. Serve garnished with parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Those bread recipes look delicious.