Pickle Roll-Ups are slices of deli ham smothered in ranch-flavored cream cheese rolled around a dill pickle and cut into bite-sized pieces. We also call these Minnesota Sushi. Laugh all you want, but we love it! For the same flavors in a dip, try my Dill Pickle Dip!
Pickle Roll Ups
This easy-to-make appetizer is made with no tortillas, so it is great to indulge in if you are watching carbs. But, even if you are not watching carbs, make these to have on hand for a quick, tasty snack. In addition, the added homemade dry ranch seasoning kicks the flavor up a notch. If you are craving the tortilla, try my Ham and Pickle Pinwheels, too!
Pickle Roll Ups Ingredients
This recipe is made with just four ingredients and can be put together quickly, either for yourself or guests.
Pickles: The word pickle most likely comes from the Dutch word, ‘pekel’, meaning brine, which is an important part of the pickling process. But, you don’t have to make your own pickles for this recipe. Just get a jar of whole dill pickles and you are on your way to an easy appetizer! Be sure to dry the pickles with a paper towel before placing them on the cream cheese. This will help them stay put.
Deli Ham: If you get the ham from your local deli department, have it thinly sliced. Or, you can buy prepackaged ham already sliced (lunchmeat). The flavor of the ham is up to you–whatever you think you would like. Make sure you dry the slices of the ham (just like the pickles) before spreading the cream cheese. This will help the cream cheese stick to the ham.
Cream Cheese: It is best to use room temperature cream cheese. One trick to get the cold cream cheese to room temperature fast is to fill a metal dish with hot water and submerge the contents of the foil packet into the water. The cream cheese will be at room temperature in about 5-10 minutes. You can also take the block of cream cheese out of the package, cut it into small pieces, and let it come to room temperature.
How to Store Pickle Roll Ups
Place the assembled pickle roll ups in a dish or on a platter, covered with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. They will last up to 24 hours in the fridge.
Pickle Roll Ups
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons dry ranch seasoning
- 16 ounces dill pickles, whole with ends trimmed
- ½ pound deli ham, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and the ranch seasoning.
- Set the ham out in a single layer. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the slices of ham. Make sure to spread the mixture all the way out to the edges of the ham slices.
- Cut the ends off each pickle. Pat the pickles dry with a paper towel and set them on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Tightly roll each pickle up in the ham. Use toothpicks to hold them closed if needed.
- Cut the ham rolls into ¾-inch pieces. Place the pieces on a large plate or platter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.