Slow Cooker Taco Dip is a warm and cheesy dip made with ground beef, cream cheese, Velveeta, salsa, and taco seasoning. It’s a must-add to your list of appetizers for all of your game days and holiday gatherings. I also have a layered cold taco dip that is also addicting and perfect for serving guests.
Slow Cooker Taco Dip
I love serving dips from a slow cooker or crockpot, especially during the holidays. If you need a crockpot recipe for Christmas or a New Year’s Eve appetizer this year, check out this recipe. It is so easy to put together; all you need is about 10 minutes to brown the hamburger. Then, it’s simply adding the ingredients to a slow cooker, setting it on low, and letting it do most of the work.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Meat: I used ground beef in this recipe. You could also use ground turkey, ground chicken, or even ground pork sausage if preferred.
Velveeta: Velveeta cheese is processed cheese, but it keeps its smooth consistency when melted, which is perfect for this creamy, cheesy dip.
Salsa: I prefer chunky salsa for this recipe, but regular would work, too. For more of a kick to the dip, choose a salsa that is medium to hot. (I used mild.)
Taco Seasoning: If you are looking for the most flavorful taco dip, make your own homemade taco seasoning! Of course, you could also use a packet (about 2 tablespoons) of taco seasoning. You can always adjust the amount of seasoning to taste.
Variations: This is a simple dip that can be made to taste. Add a can of Rotel, some jalapeno peppers, and your favorite kind of salsa.
Can I Make Taco Dip Without a Slow Cooker?
Sure! If you want to make this in a skillet on the stovetop, no problem! First, cook the ground beef, draining the grease if necessary. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and heat them up over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally, until the cheese has completely melted.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
Yes. If you are not going to serve the dip the same day, you could still get it made and store it for up to a couple of days. Store the dip in a sealed container in the refrigerator. When ready to serve the next day or two, simply warm it up on in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in a crockpot on the warm or low setting. While reheating, stir it frequently. This dip will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container.
Slow Cooker Taco Dip
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 blocks (8 ounces each) cream cheese
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Velveeta, cubed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild salsa, chunky
- 1 packet (1 ounce / 2 tablespoons) taco seasoning
- tortilla chips, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat as you go, for about 8-10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- To the bowl of a slow cooker, add the cooked beef, cream cheese, Velveeta, salsa, and taco seasoning. Cover and cook on low, stirring occasionally, for 60-90 minutes, or until the cheeses are completely melted.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.