Game days, parties, or just a weekend snack, this Taco Dip recipe is packed with flavor and layers upon layers of fresh-cut veggies. If you love dips, then you must try my homemade guacamole and my jalapeno corn dip!
Taco dip is a staple in my house. We use it as an appetizer quite a bit, but sometimes, if we are just looking for something light, we will mix it up for lunch. I put this one on the table and walked out of the room for 5 minutes and found myself making other plans for myself for lunch. The plate was basically licked clean. That’s the other great thing, kids love it! They can make it their own because each bite is unique and customized to their liking.
We grew up on this dip as Grandma has been making it forever. I never knew how different it was that she added Cottage Cheese until I brought this recipe to a party and EVERYONE was begging me for the recipe. It adds something amazing to this otherwise standard dip that leaves people wanting more! I also have a Slow Cooker Taco Dip you may want to try, too!
Taco Dip Recipe
If you like to have taco dip with meat, you can easily add cooked ground beef or seasoned shredded chicken. I sometimes will take the extra meat from taco night, or fajita night and heat that up. The extra ingredients make it even more than just an appetizer or a side dish and turn it into a completely filling meal. When you make this (and you should probably do it soon), you can decide how heavy you want the dip to be. You are the chef, it is completely up to you!
What Makes This Taco Dip Unique
One of the biggest questions I get is why I use cottage cheese. Most taco dip recipes call for sour cream (I use that later for a topping). For the base of the dip I use cottage cheese and cream cheese blended together with my homemade taco seasoning. <— That is the BEST Homemade Taco Seasoning ever!!! You can make it in advance and store it in an airtight container for up to 6 months! It never lasts that long in my house though.
Cottage cheese doesn’t seem like the best choice if you are trying to compare it to the sour cream combo that you are used to. However, cottage cheese mixed together with cream cheese creates a thicker foundation for the taco dip and the texture is amazing. Try it before you write it off. You will never go back. You will turn your nose at “regular” taco dip forever!
Plus, Grandma made it that way and she is a genius! <3
- 24 ounces (623g) cottage cheese
- 8 ounces (226g) cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup Taco Seasoning, see recipe above
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 Heart of Romain Lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- ¼ cup green onions, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- ½ lime, squeezed
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Add cottage cheese, cream cheese, and taco seasoning to a blender and blend until creamy and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spread mixture evenly onto a serving platter.
- Add sour cream and spread evenly over the top of the mixture.
- Add each of the chopped vegetables in a layer, starting with lettuce and follow with tomato, green onion, jalapeno, black olives, and the shredded cheese.
- Drizzle lime juice over the top of the mixture and dig in!
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.