Slow Cooker Turkey Chili uses fresh vegetables and lean meats to create a perfectly seasoned hearty soup for the soul! For a more traditional chili recipe, be sure to check out my Grandma’s Homemade Chili.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Pretty much set it and forget it with this recipe. This slow cooker turkey chili cooks while you’re running errands so you have a hot, hearty and home-cooked dinner waiting for you when you walk through the door! Enjoy it with a think chunk of country home style cornbread, pour it over corn chips, or add your favorite toppings like cheese, sour cream, jalapenos or green onions. No matter how you like your chili, this slow cooker turkey chili will be your next go-to recipe for those busy, time-strapped days.
The Great Turkey Chili Debate
There are so many meals that have a ground beef base. Recently we have seen the trend of people swapping out beef in exchange for its healthier alternative, ground turkey. The debate of ground turkey vs. ground beef has become more and more prominent when making everyday choices for meals. When it comes to turkey, where is the actual health “savings”? Well, it depends. I know, what a terrible answer. The trick is to watch your labels when you are buying. Make sure you are looking for a lower fat content. Lean turkey or ground turkey breast are going to be your best option. Typically though, ground turkey and ground beef go head to head in the battles of calories and protein, but turkey takes the lead in the saturated fat game. By lead, of course, I mean that ground turkey has less saturated fat than ground beef, making it a healthier option. You can definitely substitute ground beef in this recipe if that’s what you prefer!
Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 package (1.25 ounces) Chili seasoning mix
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet corn, drained
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sour cream, for topping
- scallions, for topping
- shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until simmering. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the meat as you go. Add the zucchini and chili seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a slow cooke. Pour in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and corn. Stir to combine. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with desired toppings.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Photography by The PKP Way.