This easy Spaghetti Pizza Casserole Recipe features spaghetti noodles as the crust, topped with savory meat-based marinara sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. A hit with the whole family, this recipe is perfect for easy weeknight dinners! For another family-friendly favorite, try my Easy Pizza Casserole.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Pasta: Since this is a spaghetti pizza casserole, I used spaghetti noodles as the base. Of course, you could certainly use the pasta you have on hand, or make your own homemade shaped pasta to use! After cooking and draining the pasta, be sure to let it cool a bit before mixing it with the egg.
Cheese: Use a little bit of mozzarella cheese in the base (with the pasta), as well as on top, just like a pizza! Or, try this recipe with different kinds of cheese.
Marinara Sauce: Choose your favorite brand of marinara sauce, or make your own. For a little kick to the dish, give an Arrabbiata sauce a try.
Meat: I used ground beef in the sauce. Other options would be ground turkey, ground pork, or ground chicken.
Pepperoni: Use as many slices of pepperoni as you prefer! The number I added is just a suggestion, but feel free to pile it on!
What to Serve with Spaghetti Pizza Casserole
There are a few delicious options to add to the table when serving this casserole. Here are a few of my favorites:
Can I Use a Different Sized Pan?
Yes, in fact, the recipe has been tested using both a 9-inch springform pan and a 9×13-inch baking dish. The 9-inch springform pan resulted in an impressive presentation; however, the 9×13-inch baking dish was found to be better proportioned and resulted in a dish that was less thick. Both options were delicious and perfect for serving spaghetti pizza casserole.
How to Store Spaghetti Pizza Casserole
If you have leftovers, store the casserole in the refrigerator to enjoy within the next few days. Or, for longer storage, freeze it.
To Refrigerate: First, let the casserole cool to room temperature. Next, cover the pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Or, store the pieces in an airtight container. It will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350°F.
To Freeze: Use a freezer-safe pan to prepare the casserole, then allow it to cool completely before wrapping it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Label and date the packaging to ensure freshness for up to 3 months in the freezer. To reheat, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight and then bake it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350°F for the best results.
Spaghetti Pizza Casserole
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces, cooked al dente, cooled
- 2 ½ cups (282.5 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- ¼ cup (61 g) whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces sliced pepperoni, about 35 slices, or enough to cover the top
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked, cooled noodles, ½ cup of mozzarella cheese, milk, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and salt.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish in an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the pasta is baking, make the sauce. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef until no pink remains (about 8 minutes). Drain grease.
- To the ground beef, add marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- After 15 minutes, remove the pasta from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Spread the sauce mixture over the noodle mixture. Top with the remaining cheese and a layer of pepperoni slices.
- Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 more minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Let rest for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
this recipe was very good I substituted ground Italian sausage for the ground beef. I am sure either way it would be good
Looks good, but not great. It’s alright, my wife really liked it but I found it dry. We followed the instructions exactly but the oven seems to dry out the noodles and sauce. May try again although and appreciate the recipe ingredients.
In,step,3,the,instructions says,after,15,,minutes remove the casserole from the,oven,.Do you return it to the oven,after reducing the heat?.,Instructions,don’t make it clear or,leave it out of the oven,and just put back in to melt the cheese.
I can see the confusion, I just meant “while the noodle layer is baking, start the cheese.” I rewrote the recipe to reflect that.
Loved this recipe….a nice part of it is you can substitute…out of mozzarella but had shredded cheddar and Parmesan..used parm on spaghetti cheddar on top…my husband and I loved this!
I won’t to make the easy pizza casserole.