Cheese stuffed meatballs fill a hoagie that is smothered with a garlic butter sauce and layered with provolone cheese in these Cheese Stuffed Meatball Subs. They are so packed with flavor and substance, you will probably have a hard time eating the entire sub. But trust me, you will want to! This sub would also be delicious using other meatball recipes like a chicken meatball, turkey meatball, or my standard meatballs recipe.
Cheese Stuffed Meatball Sub
Sandwiches are not just for lunch anymore, and they have come along way since a cold deli variety. I am not against a cold sandwich now and then, but when it comes to a dinner recipe, there is just something about a hot, filling sandwich. Pair this Cheese Stuffed Meatball Sub with some Roasted Parmesan Green Beans and everybody will be at the table on time!
Cheese Stuffed Meatball Sub Recipe
There are two parts to this delicious and hearty recipe–the stuffed meatballs and the seasoned butter on the hoagie bun. It all comes together so beautifully and is broiled to perfection!
Meatball Ingredients (full recipe below)
- Ground beef
- Ground pork
- Parmesan cheese
- Flat-leaf parsley
- Black pepper
- Minced garlic
- Mozzarella cheese
- Garlic Salt
- Hoagie rolls
- Provolone cheese
- Marinara sauce
How to Make Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
It’s easy to make these cheese-stuffed meatballs. First, combine the ground beef, ground pork, egg, cheese, parsley and salt in a large bowl. Then, in a separate bowl, combine the milk, breadcrumbs, garlic, and onion. Add the milk mixture to the ground beef mixture. Don’t overmix all the ingredients. If you overmix the ingredients, it will make the meatballs tough. Just get the ingredients combined for the most tender meatballs. I would suggest that you grease your hands before you start forming the meatballs.
Place each ball on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Then, press your thumb into each meatball, creating a well. Put a cube of the mozzarella cheese in each well, rolling the meatball into a ball again, around the cheese. Place each stuffed meatball back on the parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes. The internal temperature of the meatballs should be 165°F. While the meatballs are baking, you can prepare the hoagie rolls. Once the meatballs are baked, leave the oven at 350°F to bake the hoagies.
How to Make Stuffed Meatball Subs
It’s all about the seasoned butter when it comes to the hoagie rolls used for the subs.
- To make the butter, combine melted butter, garlic salt, and parsley. Then, rub that butter all over the hoagie rolls. Don’t be shy! I have used some form of this garlic butter recipe for all my sliders, including my Ham and Cheese Sliders and Mushroom Swiss Sliders, and it really does make the sandwiches that much better.
- Then, it’s time to load up the hoagie with the cheese and meatballs! Layer two slices of provolone cheese onto each buttered hoagie.
- Top the cheese with 3-4 stuffed meatballs. Pour some marinara sauce over the meatballs and layer two more slices of provolone on top. You can fill your subs with as much cheese and meatballs as you want!
- Bake the open-faced hoagie for 5-10 minutes. Then, increase the oven temperature to broil, and broil the hoagies for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. The crust will get to be a golden brown.
Looking for More Hearty Sandwiches?
Cheese Stuffed Meatball Sub
Cheese stuffed meatballs fill a garlic buttered hoagie and are layered with melted cheese in these Cheese Stuffed Meatball Subs.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into ½ in cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 16 slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, beaten egg, cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix together until just combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and breadcrumbs, garlic, and onion.
- Add milk mixture to the meat mixture being careful not to overwork ingredients.
- Form into desired size meatball, greasing hands before starting to keep the meat from sticking, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Press your thumb into the meatball to create a well. Place a cube of cheese into the well and mold the meat over the ball. Roll in the palms of your hands to form an even ball, place on the parchment-lined baking pan. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and roast until the outsides are browned and they read 165°F on a meat thermometer (about 25 minutes).
While the meatballs are cooking, combine the butter, garlic salt, and parsley in a small bowl. Brush the butter mixture all over each hoagie bun.
Remove the meatballs from the oven and set aside.
Place 2 slices of provolone cheese on each buttered hoagie bun. Add 3-4 meatballs on top of the cheese. Top with marinara sauce and 2 more slices of provolone cheese.
- Place sandwiches on a foil lined baking sheet.
Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Increase oven temperature to broil.
Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly and the crust browns.
- Serve with additional sauce for dipping.