Each Triple Decker Tomato Grilled Cheese is made with three slices of bread, with one slice dipped in condensed tomato soup, and layered with American and parmesan cheese. Try my Roasted Garlic Grilled Cheese Sandwich for another hearty and cheesy sandwich.
Triple Decker Tomato Grilled Cheese
There is no need to dip this grilled cheese sandwich into a bowl of tomato soup. A slice of the bread is already covered in soup to get the same tomato soup flavor in every cheesy bite. This recipe makes four triple-decker sandwiches. They are great as a meal or cut into pieces to share. And, you can always make some air fryer roasted tomato soup for even more soup to dip the sandwich.
Bread: I went with regular slices of white bread in this recipe. The thinner bread allowed the cheese to melt better when heated. However, you could try your favorite kind of bread in this recipe or use what you have on hand. (If you use thicker bread, like Texas toast, it will take longer to cook and it is harder to get the cheese melted.)
Butter: Buttering the outside of the bread gives the sandwich more flavor and keeps the bread from burning while cooking.
Cheese: I used American cheese and parmesan cheese. If you love other kinds of cheese in your grilled cheese, try them, and be sure to check out my Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese for another delicious variation of the classic grilled cheese sandwich.
Soup: When dipping the middle slice of bread in the tomato soup, there is no need to mix the soup with water. Just heat up the condensed soup in a microwave-safe bowl or in a saucepan on the stovetop.
Putting the Sandwich Together
To make this triple-decker sandwich, first, heat up the condensed tomato soup. You can do this in a microwave-safe bowl for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Or, heat it up on the stovetop. There is no need to add water to it. You will use it to dip the middle slice of bread.
Once the tomato soup has been heated, set the bowl aside and assemble the sandwiches. To assemble each sandwich, take out three slices of bread and spread butter on one side of two of the slices. Place the buttered bread onto a sheet of parchment paper. With one of the buttered slices of bread butter side down, add one slice of American cheese.
Then, submerge the unbuttered slice of bread into the heated tomato soup. Place that slice of bread on top of the cheese, followed by another slice of cheese, parmesan cheese, and the other piece of buttered bread, butter side up. Repeat this process for the other three sandwiches.
Cooking a Triple Decker Tomato Grilled Cheese
Once assembled, cook each sandwich in a pan that has a tight-fitting lid. Place a sandwich in the pan, cover with the lid, and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Keep the heat on low so the cheese has time to melt and the bread doesn’t burn. Flip the sandwich over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. Cook the remaining sandwiches and serve.
Want a Simpler Version?
Try just dipping 2 slices of bread into tomato soup and then making grilled cheese as you normally would. Low & slow is the way to make this version… you want to give the cheese inside time to melt without burning the outside. It’s a tomato soup & grilled cheese meal all in one easy sandwich!
Triple Decker Tomato Grilled Cheese
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed tomato soup
- 12 slices white bread
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 8 slices American cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Pour the condensed tomato soup into a wide, shallow, microwave-safe bowl. Heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirring after every 30 seconds. Set aside. (You could also heat up the soup in a saucepan on the stovetop.)
- Set out a piece of parchment paper. For each sandwich, take out three slices of bread. Generously butter one side of two slices of bread and place on the parchment paper.
- Butter side down, add one slice of American cheese to one of the buttered slices of bread.
- Submerge the unbuttered slice of bread into the bowl of soup. Add that piece of bread on top of the American cheese.
- Top with 1 more slice of cheese, ¼ cup of the parmesan cheese, and the other slice of buttered bread (butter side up). Repeat this assembly for the remaining sandwiches.
- Once assembled, place a sandwich in a pan that has a tight-fitting lid. Cover the pan with the lid and cook over low heat until golden brown (2-3 minutes), flip, and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
This recipe was inspired by @chino_frappuccini on TikTok.