Update your traditional grilled cheese sandwich by adding apples to the mix! Apple Grilled Cheese combines the tart, but sweet flavor of a granny smith apple with the nutty and creamy Gouda cheese. If you love a filling sandwich, be sure to give my Cobb Salad Sandwich a try!
Apple Grilled Cheese
Really? Apple on a grilled cheese? Yes, really! Have you ever ordered a cheese plate? A lot of times you will find apples that complement the kinds of cheeses on the platter. I am not an expert on pairings of cheeses and apples, but I know it is becoming more and more popular. There is almost a science to it now, like pairing certain kinds of apples with specific cheeses. All I know is the sweet and savory tastes have a perfect balance.
Apple Grilled Cheese Recipe
With just a few ingredients, you can have a delicious grilled cheese with the tart crunch of an apple inside. I used Gouda cheese with granny smith apples, but I encourage you to play around with other combinations! You can even make your own sourdough bread to use for this delicious sandwich!
How to Make Apple Grilled Cheese
Besides adding the apple to the Gouda cheese to make this Apple Grilled Cheese special, the bread is also important. I went with a loaf of sourdough bread, cut into hearty slices and buttered on both sides.
- Once you have your bread sliced and buttered, add a piece of the bread to a pan over low heat.
- Top a slice of bread with some grated Gouda cheese, peeled apple slices, and more cheese!
- Place the second slice of buttered bread on top and cook each side for about 3 minutes. A key to a perfectly grilled cheese is a weight, or chef’s press. This is the tool that makes smash burgers so good and helps sear a piece of meat more evenly. You don’t have to have the actual tool to use as the weight. Just grab a small pan and use the bottom of it! The whole point is to help the sandwich cook at an even rate and get as close to the heat as possible.
When you serve the grilled cheese, see how people respond before telling them there is an apple in it. It should make for a good conversation starter. If you want more of a traditional grilled cheese sandwich, try my Crispy Cheese Sandwich!
How to Select the Best Apples
Once you choose what type of apple you want, in this case, a granny smith apple, how do you select the best? As you pick up the apples, check for the firmness of the apple. If it is soft or indents easily, it may not be the best choice. Also, check for any bruising or decay, and leave those apples behind. Finally, take a big whiff of the apple. That being said, you don’t have to hold it directly up to your nose (unless you want to), and you should be able to smell a light aroma from the apple. If the scent is too strong or unpleasant, the apple is probably on its last leg, or stem, if you will:)
More Delicious Sandwiches
Apple Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 16 ounces Gouda cheese, grated
- 1 stick butter
- Butter bread on both sides.
- In a pan over low heat, add bread and top with cheese, apple slices, more cheese, and another slice of bread.
- Cook over low heat about 3 minutes on each side, using weights to hold down each sandwich.
- Remove sandwich from the pan and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.