Roasted Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese is a cream cheese mixture topped with crisp bacon and cheddar cheese in between two slices of Texas Toast. If this makes you crave the appetizer, be sure to make my Bacon Jalapeno Poppers, too!
Roasted Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
It’s a jalapeno popper; no, it’s a grilled cheese sandwich; I got it…it’s a Roasted Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese! This sandwich gives you the flavors of the popular appetizer and grilled sandwich, all in one.
Grilled Cheese Ingredients
Jalapeno Peppers: The peppers are roasted before being added to the cream cheese mixture. For a hotter pepper and a little more kick to each sandwich, look for jalapenos with white stretch marks on them.
Bacon: Cook the bacon until nice and crispy. I recommend baking bacon to save on the mess. To bake bacon, simply place the strips of bacon onto an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 415°F for 18-20 minutes, or until they are done to your desired crispiness.
Bread: I love using Texas Toast for its extra thickness! Go big or go home…wait, you are probably at home making these, so just go big with the bread!
Do I Have to Roast the Jalapeno Peppers?
No, you don’t have to roast the jalapeno peppers before mixing them into the cream cheese mixture. However, I would encourage you to take that extra step. Roasting the peppers will give them a slightly milder flavor. Plus, it brings out a little smokiness to the mixture. Need I say more?
Can I Use Different Kinds of Bread?
Definitely! As I stated above, I love the thick cut of Texas Toast. But, you could use your favorite kind of bread, for sure. Cooking time could vary, depending on the thickness of the slices of bread you use.
Can I Make Roasted Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese in an Air Fryer?
You can! You can also roast the jalapeno peppers in an air fryer. To roast the peppers in an air fryer, brush them with olive oil (like you were going to roast them in the oven). Then, place them in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer and roast for 7 minutes at 425°F.
For the grilled cheese, preheat an air fryer to 350°F and line the basket with parchment paper. Prepare the sandwich following the instructions below. Then, air fry for 5 minutes. Flip the sandwiches over, and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Roasted Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese
- 4 medium jalapeños, stems removed, sliced in half, and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup (113 g) mild cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 6 strips bacon, cooked, divided
- 4 slices Texas toast (Or your bread of choice)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush the jalapeños with the olive oil on all sides and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes, or until the skin of the jalapeños begins to char slightly.
- Remove from oven and set aside to to cool slightly.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add cream cheese, garlic salt, pepper, and onion powder. Mix until creamy.
- Once the jalapenos are cool enough to handle, roughly chop them and fold them into to the cream cheese mixture.
- Butter one side of one slice of bread. On the opposite side, spread half of the cream cheese mixture. Top the cream cheese mixture with 3 slices of bacon and ½ cup of cheddar cheese. Top with another slice of bread and butter the outside. Repeat these steps with the remaining bread.
- Add the buttered sandwich to a skillet and cook both sides over medium heat until the bread is toasted and the cheese is completely melted (4-5 minutes per side). Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.