Tuscan Lemon Chicken is a flavorful and vibrant dish made with chicken that is marinated and pan-fried in a lemon-infused sauce with cherry tomatoes. It is a relatively simple recipe that is a light, healthy, and wholesome option for dinner! I also have Tuscan Chicken Pasta which is a family favorite!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken: Slice two chicken breasts in half vertically. This ensures that the chicken is cooked evenly and stays tender. You could also make this with chicken thighs, but you may need to adjust the cooking time. Just make sure the chicken is fully cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil is used in the marinade with a little extra needed for pan-frying.
Lemon: Lemon is the star of the recipe. Lemon zest and freshly squeezed lemon juice give the sauce a bright and refreshing citrus taste.
Fresh Herbs: Both fresh parsley and fresh rosemary complement the lemony profile. If you only have dried herbs, use about 1/3 of the amount of fresh.
Cherry Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes, cut in half, add a burst of sweetness and freshness to the dish.
What To Serve with Tuscan Lemon Chicken
Tuscan Lemon Chicken pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Here are some delicious options:
- White or Brown Rice
- Roasted Vegetables (Carrots, Brussels sprouts, Green beans, Asparagus)
- Baguette (or other crusty bread)
- Dinner Rolls or Breadsticks
- Mashed Potatoes (or Cauliflower Mashed)
- Roasted Potatoes
- Wedge Salad
How To Store Tuscan Lemon Chicken
To store Tuscan Lemon Chicken, first, let it cool completely. Then, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat the chicken in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Tuscan Lemon Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half vertically for a total of 4 pieces
- ¼ cup (54 g) extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon oil for pan frying
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large lemon, juiced (about 3 tablespoons juice)
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place chicken into a large resealable plastic bag.
- In a medium bowl, combine ¼ cup oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, parsley, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Whisk together and pour over the chicken in the bag, ensuring all pieces are well coated. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- When ready to cook the chicken, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add cherry tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes to release juices.
- To the skillet with the tomatoes, add the contents of the bag of marinated chicken. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
This recipe is adapted from Damn Delicious Tuscan Lemon Chicken recipe.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
This is a great option if you are looking for weeknight meals that are on the lighter side. You don't have to sacrifice any flavor either!
I really enjoyed this dish. It is a light and refreshing way to serve chicken and a healthy meal when served with a side of vegetables. I am going to be trying this one at home, for sure.
Very tender, and flavorful! This is a very nice, light dish and you could pair it with so many things!
A flavorful and fulfilling chicken for any day of the week. I really enjoy the lemon element. It is light, fresh, and zesty. This recipe is very easy to prepare, too!
This is really delightful! The marinade makes the chicken super yummy and I love the pop of tomato!