The Breakfast Club Sandwich is a hearty sandwich that combines a medley of classic ingredients to create an amazing and delicious way to start the day. Layers of seasoned toast, scrambled eggs, cheese, breakfast sausage, and avocado come together in a sandwich that will make you feel like you are at a fancy brunch! For another breakfast that will keep you going all morning, be sure to check out my hearty Breakfast Burrito!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Bacon: I love thick-cut bacon, but you could certainly use the bacon you have on hand. Turkey bacon would also be a delicious option! Or, buy bacon that has already been cooked!
Ground Pork Sausage: Ground pork sausage is already seasoned, unlike ground pork, so look at the packaging carefully. You could also make homemade breakfast sausage to use (yum)! If you substitute turkey sausage or chicken sausage, you may have to add additional seasonings. To save time, you could also use precooked breakfast sausage patties! Simply heat them up when ready to assemble the sandwiches.
Cheese: I topped the sausage patties with slices of mild cheddar cheese, but you could certainly use your favorite kind of cheese! (I think pepper jack cheese would be delicious.)
Eggs: Eight eggs were scrambled and divided between the four sandwiches. If preferred, fried eggs would also be delicious! If you need a refresher on frying eggs, I have instructions in my Fried Egg BLT recipe.
Bread: Simple white bread was just fine for this recipe. However, you could definitely use your favorite kind of bread!
Avocado: Incorporating avocado into the Breakfast Club sandwich is a great way to elevate its taste, texture, and nutritional value. Of course, you could leave it out and still have a yummy sandwich!
Cowboy Butter: The star of this sandwich has to be the cowboy butter! After trying the club with mayonnaise, aioli, creole butter, and cowboy butter, the cowboy butter was the winner! It is butter flavored with herbs and spices with a little kick from added cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. However, you can’t really go wrong with any of the spreads!
What To Serve With A Breakfast Club Sandwich
The hearty Breakfast Club sandwich is a substantial and flavorful dish on its own, but if you’re looking to complement it with sides, you can! Serve it with hash browns, a fresh fruit platter, baked beans, or a fruit smoothie for a beverage side.
Can I Make The Breakfast Club Ahead Of Time?
To save time during busy mornings, you can prep parts of the club sandwich ahead of time. Cook bacon in advance and store it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Prepare and refrigerate sausage patties for up to a few days. Scrambled eggs last around 3-4 days in the refrigerator, and cowboy butter can be made and kept for up to 5 days. When ready, just reheat and assemble for a quick and delicious breakfast!
Breakfast Club Sandwich Add-Ons
Get creative with add-ons to customize and elevate your Breakfast Club sandwich. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Raw or Sauteed Onions
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Ham or Turkey Slices
- Roasted Garlic
Breakfast Club Sandwich
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 4 slices mild cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices white bread, toasted
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, sliced
- ¾ cup cowboy butter, softened, divided
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange the bacon slices on the lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy.
- Transfer the cooked bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess grease.
- Divide the sausage mixture into four equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a patty that's slightly larger than your slices of bread.
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, cook the sausage patties for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until they are browned on one side. Flip the patty and cook for 3-4 more minutes, or until cooked through. (Pork sausage is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.)
- While the last side is cooking, place a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each patty. The residual heat will help melt the cheese.
- Transfer the patties to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess grease.
- With paper towels, wipe out the same skillet and place over medium heat. Add butter to the skillet.
- Once the butter has melted, add the beaten eggs, salt, and pepper to the skillet, stirring to combine. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with a spatula, forming large soft curds. Continue cooking until the eggs are thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. (Do not stir constantly.) Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of cowboy butter on one side of each slice of toasted bread.
- Working one sandwich at a time, place a sausage patty on one slice of toasted bread, on top of the buttered side. Top with another slice of toasted buttered bread.
- Layer two pieces of cooked bacon on top of the second toasted bread slice. Top with avocado slices and about ½ cup of scrambled eggs. Place a final slice of toasted buttered bread on top.
- Cut the sandwich into four triangles. Secure each with a toothpick.
- Repeat the assembly process for the remaining three sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
This sandwich is HUGE but totally worth it. We tested a few variations of this and we LOVED the added flavor from the cowboy butter. This should be an addition to your breakfast sandwich line-up!
Oh my goodness, this is SO GOOD (and filling). If you want something to keep you going all morning (maybe all day, even) make yourself one of these club sandwiches. Yes, it's called a breakfast sandwich, but it would be a perfect and hearty enough sandwich for any meal of the day.
This is a serious sandwich! It is delicious and I loved all the flavor levels of it. This would be a hit with anyone who loves breakfast sandwiches. Loved it with the cowboy butter!
This seems so simple, but it is SO delicious! Don't skip the cowboy butter. It just is the finishing, flavorful touch! (You'll need napkins when eating this!!)
This is massive! This sandwich tastes wonderful and the ingredients are straightforward. Additionally, this is a filling recipe that will get you through most of the day.
This is one heck of a sandwich! The flavor is great, and that cowboy butter really adds to it, great for breakfast!