Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels are an appetizer made with buffalo chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, red bell pepper, green onions, and ranch dressing, rolled up in a flour tortilla and cut into pieces. Try my Cheesy Bacon Pinwheels for another great snack or appetizer.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
Pinwheels are an easy-to-make snack or appetizer that has a variety of ingredients rolled up into a flour tortilla. The filled tortillas are then cut into circular pieces, like a pinwheel! This particular recipe is made with rotisserie chicken that is given a kick from buffalo sauce. It’s all the flavors of buffalo chicken in finger food that goes perfectly dipped in a side of blue cheese or ranch dressing.
Cream Cheese: Be sure the cream cheese has been softened before mixing it with the other ingredients. You will need 1 1/2 blocks of cream cheese (12 ounces). Yes, you will have 4 ounces of cream cheese leftover if you use 8-ounce blocks, but that is the perfect amount to use in my Air Fryer Barbecue Stuffed Chicken.
Buffalo Sauce: Look for buffalo sauce, not hot sauce; they are different. You can also make your own homemade buffalo sauce.
Ranch Dressing: Just like the buffalo sauce, you can make your own homemade ranch dressing. You could also use blue cheese dressing, which many people prefer with buffalo chicken.
Chicken: Shred and chop a rotisserie chicken for this recipe.
Tortillas: I used 8-inch flour tortillas. You could also make your own homemade tortillas if you are in the mood!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
I love everything buffalo chicken, from my Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese to Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings to Buffalo Chicken Deviled Eggs, just to name a few! Adding this appetizer to the list of buffalo chicken recipes just made sense! Plus, it’s a great snack to enjoy or share.
To make these pinwheels, first, stir together the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and ranch (or blue cheese) dressing. Next, add the chicken, bell pepper, and green onions. Once the ingredients are mixed, spread the mixture evenly on 6 flour tortillas. I used about 2/3 of the mixture on each tortilla shell.
Tightly roll up the tortillas and pop the wraps into a ziplock baggie or place them in a dish covered with plastic wrap. Transfer the covered wraps to the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour, up to 24 hours. This helps firm up the cream cheese mixture so that they are easier to slice. When ready, cut the roll-ups into 1-inch pieces, or pinwheels. I ended up with 28 pinwheels.
Store them in the refrigerator until ready to share. Serve with a side of ranch dressing, blue cheese, or extra buffalo sauce for dipping. Refrigerate any leftovers within 2 hours of sitting out at room temperature. They will last up to 3 days in the fridge, but they are best when eaten within a day or two.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- 12 ounces (1½ blocks) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup ranch dressing, or blue cheese
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced (about ½ of a red bell pepper)
- 6 medium (8-inches) tortilla shells
- 3-4 medium green onions, thinly sliced (approximately ¼ cup), reserving some for garnish
- buffalo sauce, ranch or blue cheese dressing, for dipping
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing until well combined.
- Add in chicken, cheese, red bell pepper, and most of the green onions. Mix until well blended.
- Divide buffalo chicken mixture between the tortilla shells and spread out evenly. (I used about ⅔ cup of the mixture per tortilla.)
- Roll each shell up tightly, place in a shallow dish, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
- When ready, slice the tortillas into 1-inch pieces. Serve with extra buffalo sauce, ranch, or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.