Chicken and Rice Soup is a hearty broth-based soup made with fresh vegetables, long-grain white rice, and shredded rotisserie chicken. Try my Chicken Noodle Soup for another homemade soup favorite.
Chicken and Rice Soup
There is something so comforting about a bowl of homemade soup. This soup is definitely filling enough to serve as a main course with all the veggies and chicken. Add a basket of dinner rolls or breadsticks to the table to round out the meal. If you love this soup, be sure to also try my Turkey and Rice Soup.
Vegetables: I used yellow onion, carrots, and celery in the soup.
Red Pepper Flakes: If you don’t want to add crushed red pepper flakes, you can certainly leave them out.
Chicken Broth: You could use chicken broth or chicken stock in this recipe.
Rice: Cooking time and liquid amount were based on using long-grain white rice. If you prefer brown rice, both the cooking time and the liquid amount may need to be adjusted.
Chicken: Shredded rotisserie chicken is easy to use in a recipe like this. You can buy one at the store, sometimes even shredded, or you can make your own rotisserie chicken.
Can I Freeze this Soup?
Yes! You can freeze this soup for up to three months. Let the soup cool completely before storing it in freezer-safe bags or containers that have been labeled and dated. I would suggest freezing the soup without the rice and adding cooked rice when ready to serve the soup. This will prevent the rice from absorbing all the liquid and getting soggy.
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (approximately 1 cup, 160g)
- 2 large carrots, diced into ¼-inch pieces(approximately 1 cup, 128g)
- 2 ribs celery, diced into ¼-inch pieces(approximately 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 6 cups (1,440g) chicken broth
- 1 cup (185g) long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups (280g) rotisserie chicken, shredded and cubed
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and butter.
- Once butter is melted, add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally (about 8-10 minutes). Add garlic and cook 1 more minute (or until fragrant).
- Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add rice. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the rice is almost done, but still has some firmness to it. Then, add the diced chicken. Cook for 10-15 more minutes, or until the rice has cooked through and is tender.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Can I make this in a Crockpot
Made as directed soup was gone at dinner. Three adults done… will gladly replenish soon. Yum
I made this today and it was amazing. Thank you Amanda for a another wonderful recipe. This will be the only way I make chicken and rice soup from now on.
This soup is just what I was looking for! So delicious. I’m adding this to my list of go-to comfort foods. Thank you!
Soup was amazing and easy to make. Even my husband loved it. After his first bite he looked at me and said “this is delicious” thank you for this delicious recipe!!
This soup is so delicious. I followed the directions with one exception. I added 1 cup of Lundberg wild blend rice instead of white rice. I let it boil for 45 minutes. I also had to add a total of 9 cups of chicken broth instead of 6 cups because it was very thick. Delicious recipe!!
I used this tasty recipe in our multi-cooker which yielded a delightful soup in a shorter period of time. After reading comments concerning the rice to broth ratio, I used 8 cups of broth to the 1 cup of rice and still had a thicker soup, but adequate broth. My husband ate two bowls immediately and since he liked it so very much I will be making it again. Thank you!
I found it was too much rice, the rice consumed all the broth so I added 4 more cups of broth and it was still very thick. I would use a quarter to half cup of rice but I like my soups brothier .
Super yummy. Thank you😊
This recipe was delicious. Had a couple of sick family members, so thought this might be good for everyone. It was delicious. I cooked a couple of chicken breasts, cut in cubes for 15 minutes, in some of the chicken broth. Then when it was time to add the chicken, I added it all to the soup. I did add extra broth since the soup was quite thick. Anyway, it was perfect! Thanks for sharing.
I would love to make this. I need to know how many this serves?
In the recipe card it says 6 servings.
I just have my dinner. I served myself and my husband this yummy Chicken and Rice Soup. Easy to make and cook. The only longest time is the preparation, chopping the vegetables, when everything is ready it goes well and smoothly by following the instructions. It went all well and enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Will this freeze well?