Chicken and Rice Soup is a hearty broth-based soup made with fresh vegetables, long-grain white rice, and shredded rotisserie chicken. Try my Chicken Noodle Soup for another homemade soup favorite.
Chicken and Rice Soup
There is something so comforting about a bowl of homemade soup. This soup is definitely filling enough to serve as a main course with all the veggies and chicken. Add a basket of dinner rolls or breadsticks to the table to round out the meal.
Vegetables: I used yellow onion, carrots, and celery in the soup.
Red Pepper Flakes: If you don’t want to add crushed red pepper flakes, you can certainly leave them out.
Chicken Broth: You could use chicken broth or chicken stock in this recipe.
Rice: Cooking time and liquid amount were based on using long-grain white rice. If you prefer brown rice, both the cooking time and the liquid amount may need to be adjusted.
Chicken: Shredded rotisserie chicken is easy to use in a recipe like this. You can buy one at the store, sometimes even shredded, or you can make your own rotisserie chicken.
How to Make Chicken and Rice Soup
Don’t be intimidated by making homemade soup. This recipe is so easy to put together, but it tastes like it took you hours to make! It is a hearty soup that didn’t need any extra seasonings, even salt when tested by my taste-testers. The hardest part is chopping up the vegetables and shredding the chicken!
To get started, first, heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the onions, carrots, and celery, cooking them until they have softened. Next, add the garlic and cook for just a minute.
Then, add the basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if used) to the pot. Stir to combine, followed by pouring in the chicken broth. Bring the soup to a boil; then, reduce heat to medium-low. Add the rice, stirring to combine.
Let the soup with the rice simmer for 10-12 minutes. The rice will still have some firmness to it at this point. At this point, add the chicken. Cook the soup for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the rice has cooked through and is tender. Serve garnished with fresh parsley. This soup is best served immediately so the rice does not get soggy.
Can I Freeze this Soup?
Yes! You can freeze this soup for up to three months. Let the soup cool completely before storing it in freezer-safe bags or containers that have been labeled and dated. I would suggest freezing the soup without the rice and adding cooked rice when ready to serve the soup. This will prevent the rice from absorbing all the liquid and getting soggy.
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (approximately 1 cup, 160g)
- 2 large carrots, diced into ¼-inch pieces(approximately 1 cup, 128g)
- 2 ribs celery, diced into ¼-inch pieces(approximately 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 6 cups (1,440g) chicken broth
- 1 cup (185g) long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups (280g) rotisserie chicken, shredded and cubed
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and butter.
- Once butter is melted, add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally (about 8-10 minutes). Add garlic and cook 1 more minute (or until fragrant).
- Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add rice. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the rice is almost done, but still has some firmness to it. Then, add the diced chicken. Cook for 10-15 more minutes, or until the rice has cooked through and is tender.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.