Air Fryer Chicken Bacon Ranch Bombs are squares of puff pastry filled with a cheesy, ranch-flavored chicken and bacon filling. Crispy, hot, super flavorful, and such a fun appetizer! If these sound good to you, be sure to try my Stuffed Bagel Bites, too!
Air Fryer Chicken Bacon Ranch Bombs
I have definitely been getting a lot of use out of my air fryer these days. This recipe starts with sheets of puff pastry. Then, after cutting the pastry into squares, they are filled with a cream cheese mixture made with chicken, bacon, and ranch seasoning. Cooking them in the air fryer makes the bombs nice and crispy on the outside with the cheesy filling on the inside!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Bombs Ingredients
Bacon: I cooked two strips of thick-cut bacon that I crumbled after it cooled. I like to use the bacon grease to cook the onions. However, you could get by using bacon bits (about 1/4 cup), if preferred. However, you will lose some bacon flavor in the bombs.
Chicken: Rotisserie chicken is easy to use since it’s already cooked. You can buy one at the store and shred and dice it yourself. Or, sometimes the chicken is already shredded for you. Another option would be to make your own rotisserie chicken to use.
Ranch Seasoning: If you don’t have any on hand, make your own dry ranch seasoning mix.
Puff Pastry: You will need two sheets of puff pastry to cut into a total of 24 squares. If you are feeling motivated, here is a great recipe for a homemade Puff Pastry. Just leave out the cinnamon when making it for this recipe.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Bacon Ranch Bombs
It’s easy to get this appetizer air-fried and shared. To get started, cook the bacon in a skillet. Then, once the bacon has fried nice and crispy, remove it from the skilled to let the pieces cool. Next, cook the onion in the same skillet, using the bacon grease for added flavor.
Once the bacon has cooled enough to touch, break it into little pieces and add to a large bowl. Add the crumbled bacon, onion, chicken, cream cheese, jalapeno (if using), 1/2 cup of cheese, and the ranch seasoning. Mix the ingredients well and set the filling aside as you roll out the sheets of puff pastry.
Roll out each puff pastry sheet to a 12×16-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle into 12 squares; you will have a total of 24 squares. Top each square with a heaping tablespoon of the filling. Next, evenly divide 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the filling. Once filled, fold up the corners of each puff pastry square, making sure to seal it well.
Place the chicken bacon ranch bombs seam-side down. If you want the bombs crispier, you could brush an egg wash over the tops. (We did not use an egg wash). Working in batches, set the bombs into the basket of your air fryer. Use the rest of the cheese to sprinkle on the tops of the bombs. You may need to press in the cheese a bit. Air fry for 8-10 minutes, or until the bombs are golden brown. Serve hot!
Can I Make Chicken Bacon Ranch Bombs in the Oven?
Yes! If you are using your air fryer for another yummy appetizer like Armadillo Eggs, it’s easy to make these bombs in the oven. Follow the instructions up to placing the bombs in the basket of your air fryer. Instead, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
They may not be quite as crispy as making them in the air fryer, but you will still get all the filling flavors in every bite.
How to Serve Air Fryer Chicken Bacon Ranch Bombs
This appetizer is delicious on its own, but there are also a few options for dipping. You could dip the bombs in sriracha mayo (found in my Air Fryer Pickle Egg Rolls recipe), jalapeno ranch dressing, or plain ranch dressing.
Air Fryer Chicken Bacon Ranch Bombs
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (140g) rotisserie chicken, shredded and diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ medium jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1½ cups (169.5g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch seasoning mix (or half of a 1 ounce packet)
- 2 sheets puff pastry, cut into 12 squares each sheet (24 total squares)
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, add bacon and cook until crispy (4-6 minutes per side).
- Remove bacon to a towel-lined plate; set aside to cool slightly.
- Add onion to the same pan and cook in the bacon grease until softened (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Once the bacon has cooled, dice (or tear) it into very fine bits.
- To a large bowl, add bacon, onion, chicken, cream cheese, jalapeno, ½ cup of cheese, and ranch seasoning. Mix well.
- Roll each puff pastry out to a 12×16-inch rectangle. Cut each sheet into 12 squares for a total of 24 squares.
- Top each square of puff pastry with a heaping tablespoon of the filling mixture.
- Evenly divide 1/2 cup of cheese onto each of the puff pastry squares on top of the filling mixture.
- Fold the corners of the pastry squares together, pinching them tightly so there are no holes or gaps.
- Place the bombs seam-side down. (You may brush the tops of the bombs with egg wash if preferred. We did not use egg wash.) Working in batches, place the bombs in the air fryer, leaving 2-3 inches between each.
- Use the rest of the cheese (1 cup) to sprinkle on top of the bombs. (You may have to slightly press the cheese into the tops.)
- Air Fry at 400°F for 8-10 minutes, or until crispy golden brown. Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.