Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Orzo is a flavorful dish that combines orzo pasta, rotisserie chicken, and broccoli with a rich white cheddar cheese sauce. It is not only cheesy and delicious, it is all made in one skillet for easy preparation and cleanup! For another fantastic one-pot recipe, try my One Pot Spicy Sausage Pasta, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Orza Pasta: Orzo is a type of pasta that resembles large grains of rice. It has a smooth texture and is often used in soups, salads, and pilafs. I love the orzo in this recipe, but you could try it with other small pasta like elbow macaroni, small shells, or mini penne if preferred. If using a different kind of pasta, adjust the cooking time as needed to ensure the pasta reaches its desired doneness.
Chicken Broth: If you don’t have chicken broth, you could use chicken stock or vegetable broth.
Rotisserie Chicken: Rotisserie chicken is pre-cooked, typically seasoned and roasted, and is commonly used in recipes that call for cooked chicken. It provides a convenient source of tender and flavorful chicken meat. You could also use shredded chicken or any leftover chicken you have. Just make sure the chicken is fully cooked before adding it to the dish.
Broccoli: Look for a bag of frozen broccoli cuts. If using fresh broccoli, the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
Cheese: I added white cheddar cheese to the pasta. However, you could certainly try this with sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or your favorite kind of cheese! A blend of cheeses would also be delicious.
What To Serve With Chicken and Broccoli Orzo
Creamy chicken and broccoli orzo is a rich and satisfying dish that pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Here are some options to consider serving alongside this flavorful main course:
- Garlic Knots
- Breadsticks (Have you tried my Focaccia Breadsticks, yet? Yum!)
- Wedge Salad
- Dinner Rolls
- Roasted Vegetables (like carrots, Brussels sprouts, or green beans)
Can I Make Orzo Pasta Dish Without Chicken?
Sure! You can absolutely make this orzo pasta dish without chicken. Simply omit the chicken, and use vegetable broth if preferred and you will still have a delicious pasta dish! In addition, to enhance the flavor and nutrition, you can consider adding other vegetables, such as diced bell peppers, spinach, or mushrooms. You can sauté these additional vegetables along with the onions and garlic. Enjoy!
How To Store Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Orzo
To store Chicken and Broccoli Orzo, first, let it cool to room temperature. Next, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop. For longer storage, freeze the chicken and broccoli orzo. Again, let it cool completely. Then, store it in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Orzo
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 3 cups (720 g) chicken broth
- 1 cup (245 g) whole milk
- 2 cups (280 g) rotisserie chicken, shredded, diced
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (226 g) white cheddar cheese, shredded
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- To a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add onions. Cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- To the skillet, add orzo, chicken broth, milk, chicken, broccoli, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer. Cook over medium-high heat for 16-20 minutes, or until the orzo has a firm, chewy texture, and the broccoli is tender.
- Add the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
Oh wow! This dish is creamy and packed with flavor! I love how simple it is to make. Perfect for a weeknight meal!
Simple, but made a little different with the orzo (which I love)! I will definitely be making this recipe at home.
I loved this! It's super easy to throw together and the orzo is so good with the chicken and broccoli!
What a simple dinner! This is flavorful, budget-friendly, and comes together quickly!
So cheesy, creamy, and delicious! When you need a quick and tasty meal, try this recipe!
Super flavorful, super creamy, and really easy to throw together. I like the tiny kick of heat from the red pepper at the end!