Chicken Legs are seasoned chicken legs that are baked in the oven until the skin is crispy and golden brown. It’s a delicious appetizer or main dish that is easy to make and just as delicious to enjoy! I’ll also show you how to make them in an air fryer! Try my Jerk Chicken for another flavorful way to cook chicken.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken: Chicken legs are dark meat made up of the drumstick and thigh. The meat is flavorful, tender, and juicy. If using a different part of the chicken for this recipe, you will need to adjust the baking time. Be sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F before serving.
Seasonings: You will need paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, kosher salt, and ground pepper to mix with the olive oil.
What to Serve with Chicken Legs
This is a perfect weeknight recipe since there is not much prep involved. The oven does most of the work! To make the chicken into a full meal, add some side dishes to the table. Here are some options:
- Mashed Potatoes (I also have cauliflower mashed potatoes.)
- Roasted Potato Wedges
- Roasted Vegetables like asparagus, green beans, or carrots
- Cheesy Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Stick of Butter Rice
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Buttermilk Biscuits
How to Store Chicken Legs
Once baked, store any leftover chicken legs in an airtight container. They will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat them in the oven, air fryer, or microwave. Or, remove the chicken to use in other recipes like chicken noodle soup, salads, chicken sandwiches, tacos, and chicken pot pie.
- 8 chicken legs, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.* Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Then, toss the chicken legs into the bowl to coat them with the oil and seasonings mixture.
- Arrange the chicken legs in a single layer on the lined baking sheet, leaving some space between each.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken legs are cooked through and the skin is crispy and golden brown. Chicken is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken legs from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Coat the chicken legs in the seasoned oil.
- Place the chicken legs in a single layer into the basket of the air fryer. (Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to work in batches.)
- Air fry at 400°F for 18 minutes, flipping the legs halfway through cooking time. Chicken is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
Want a hassle-free dinner option? This is it! The chicken is tender on the inside, but crispy on the outside, and every bite is packed with flavor! These would be great next to some roasted veggies!
I will definitely be making these chicken legs, most likely in the air fryer. They are super easy and flavorful!
This is so tender and delicious. The chicken leg is seasoned well. It is simple enough to make on any day of the week. It would pair well with some potatoes and vegetables!
What an easy, flavorful, and simple dish for dinner. The recipe gives you enough time to quickly whip together some side dishes for an easy and satisfying weeknight meal!