Stuffed with seasoned chicken, cheese, corn, and salsa, Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells bring a whole new flavor to stuffed shells and Taco Tuesdays! If you love tacos, be sure to try my Taco Lasagna. For a more traditional stuffed shell recipe, don’t pass up my Three Cheese Stuffed Shells for another delicious pasta dish.
Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells
Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells are loaded with rotisserie chicken that has been seasoned with my homemade taco seasoning. They are a great addition to any Taco Tuesday menu, and they should really be enjoyed any day of the week!
Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells Recipe
It’s all about the seasoned rotisserie chicken in this recipe. I used my homemade taco seasoning, but you could also use a one-ounce packet you get at the store. Get the ingredients you need, and for toppings, it’s just a suggestion. Like regular tacos, the fixing ideas are endless!
- Jumbo pasta shells–Cooking the jumbo shells is probably the trickiest part of the recipe. Make sure to cook them al dente, according to the package directions.
- Rotisserie chicken–I am a huge fan of rotisserie chicken, but sometimes I don’t want to shred it myself. I may be the last person to find out that rotisserie chicken is sometimes prepared, already shredded, in the deli! Bonus!
- Taco seasoning–2 tablespoons of my homemade taco seasoning is equal to a one-ounce packet of packaged taco seasoning.
- Cream cheese–Get it to room temperature so it is easier to mix it into the chicken mixture
- Canned corn–Drain it before you add it to the chicken mixture.
- Cheddar cheese–I used mild shredded cheddar cheese, but you could definitely use sharper cheddar cheese.
- Salsa–You only need a cup of salsa, so save the rest for an additional topping.
- Mexican cheese–This will go on the top of the stuffed shells right before you bake the shells.
The following are the toppings I added to the Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells, but there are so many more toppings and sides you could add. Try refried beans, lettuce, onions, cilantro, scallions, hot sauce, or even guacamole!
- Sour cream
- Jalapeno peppers
How to Make Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells
There are three main parts to this easy dinner recipe–cooking the pasta shells, stuffing the noodles, and baking the stuffed shells.
Boil the Pasta Shells
The trick with boiling the noodles is that you want them to be “al dente”. That basically means you don’t want them soggy. A soggy jumbo shell will not hold up to the filling process. You want the noodle to be soft and pliable, but still a little firm. A typical jumbo shell noodle needs to cook for about 9 minutes. You will want them to cool off a bit before you start filling them unless you have a cooking glove, the shells will be hot. One trick is to put a small amount of olive oil over the noodles after draining. Tossing them in the oil will keep them from sticking together.
Stuff the Noodles
While the noodles are cooling down, preheat the oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, mix together the chicken, taco seasoning, cream cheese, corn, cheddar cheese, and salsa. Stuff each shell with the chicken mixture and place them in a greased 9×13-inch pan.
Bake the Stuffed Shells
Before you put them in the oven to bake, top the stuffed noodles with the Mexican cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until they are bubbly. Top with all your favorite taco fixings, including (but not limited to) sour cream, tomatoes, and jalapeno pepper.
Can I Freeze Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells?
The answer is YES! Isn’t it great when you can prepare a meal ahead of time and just take it out of the freezer when you are ready to make it? I feel so accomplished when I have at least one meal prepped for the week! To freeze Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells, simply prepare the meal following the instructions, but don’t bake it. The only difference is to place the stuffed shells in a 9×13 inch aluminum pan. Cover it with aluminum foil and don’t forget to write the name of the dish and the instructions, along with the date. When you are ready to bake it, take it out of the freezer, uncover it, and bake it for 45-60 minutes at 350°F. This will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Looking for More Taco Recipes?
Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells
Filled with rotisserie chicken that is seasoned with homemade taco seasoning, these Chicken Taco Stuffed Shells will be your new favorite recipe for Taco Tuesdays!
- 1 package (12 ounces) jumbo pasta shells, cooked al dente
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for topping, optional
- 1 medium tomato, diced for topping, optional
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, diced for topping, optional
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cook pasta until al dente, per package instructions. Drain.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, taco seasoning, cream cheese, corn, cheddar cheese, and salsa.
Stuff each jumbo shell with the chicken mixture and place in a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
Top with the shredded Mexican cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Drizzle with sour cream, tomatoes, and jalapenos.