A Crab Rangoon Melt combines the flavors of a classic crab rangoon appetizer with the comfort of a grilled cheese spread between sourdough bread. For even more flavor, serve the sandwich with sweet chili sauce for a bit of sweetness or garlic chili oil for a bit of heat (both delicious options). I also have a Roasted Garlic Grilled Cheese sandwich for another cheesy, indulgent sandwich.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Crab: I used 1/2 cup of canned crab meat that has been drained. It is usually pre-cooked (but double-check the can to be sure). You could also use frozen crab that has been thawed or imitation crab.
Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is the base of the mixture, giving it richness and creaminess.
Cheese: Mozzarella cheese is used to provide a melty, gooey texture and a mild, slightly sweet flavor. It combines with the cream cheese to create a cheesy and creamy filling.
Green Onion: Green onions, also known as scallions, provide a fresh, mild onion flavor and a pop of green color to the filling.
Bread: I used sourdough bread. But, you could use your favorite kind of bread.
Dipping Options: The sandwich is flavorful as-is, but you could add even more depth of flavor by dipping each bite of the sandwich into a dipping sauce. We tested it with both sweet chili sauce and garlic chili oil, which were both wonderful!
Can I Make Crab Rangoon Filling Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can get the crab rangoon filling mixed in advance. Mix the crab meat with cream cheese, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic, and sugar. Store the filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. When ready to make the grilled cheese, let the mixture sit out at room temperature for a few minutes so it is easier to work with.
Can I Use A Panini Press To Make Crab Rangoon Grilled Cheese?
Yes, a panini press can be used instead of a skillet to make these sandwiches. Preheat the press, assemble the sandwiches, and grill for a few minutes, checking occasionally to ensure the sandwich doesn’t get overly browned. The cooking time may vary depending on the panini press you are using, but it usually takes 3-5 minutes.
What To Serve With Crab Rangoon Grilled Cheese
When serving crab rangoon grilled cheese, pair it with some delicious sides like these:
- Wedge Salad
- Soup (like roasted tomato soup)
- Fresh Fruit Platter
- Roasted Vegetables (asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or green beans)
- Homemade Potato Chips
- Air Fryer French Fries
Crab Rangoon Melt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (113 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ cup (67.5 g) crab meat, drained
- 8 slices sourdough bread, divided
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- sweet chili sauce, optional for dipping
- garlic chili oil, optional for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and crab meat. Set aside.
- Preheat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, butter-side down, into the skillet. Top the slice of bread with about ¼ cup of crab mixture, spreading it evenly over the bread. Top with a second slice of bread, butter-side up.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Then, flip over the sandwich and cook another 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. (If it seems like the bread is taking a long time to brown, be patient, as the cheese inside needs time to melt.) Use a spatula to remove from the skillet.
- Repeat for remaining sandwiches. Serve with sweet chili sauce or garlic chili oil for dipping (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
Wow! What a fun twist on crab rangoon! The sweet chili sauce is a must!
This is definitely a unique grilled cheese sandwich! I especially loved it with the sweet chili sauce.
This is such a delicious variation of a crab rangoon! I loved it dipped in the garlic chili oil personally. So good!
This isn't an ordinary grilled cheese! It is unique and worth the try if you like Crab Rangoon. It is cheesy and creamy. I don't even like crab, but I could eat this.
This is such an interesting recipe! I like the crab flavor and especially enjoyed them dipped in some sweet chili sauce!
Oh wow. Such a creamy delicious nod to my favorite, crab rangoon. I liked it dipped in sweet chili sauce and garlic chili oil. I will definitely make this at home!