Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Bites are pieces of seasoned chicken breasts nestled in a creamy honey mustard sauce with fresh green beans. All of the taste testers went back for seconds of this dish! I also have Lemon Garlic Chicken Bites that you will love.
Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Bites
Chicken bites are my favorite way to eat chicken, especially boneless, skinless chicken breasts. So, I knew I had to try them with more sauces and flavors. This recipe is made in a skillet on the stovetop and is a complete meal with added green beans. Serve it with a side of mashed potatoes and a basket of breadsticks and you’re all set!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken: I prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe, cut into pieces. However, you could also use chicken thighs, but the cooking time may need to be adjusted. Another option would be to serve the chicken as full chicken breasts.
Honey Mustard Sauce: The homemade honey mustard sauce is made with coarse ground Dijon mustard. You could get away with regular Dijon mustard or yellow mustard. A combination of both kinds of mustard would also work. With Dijon mustard, the sauce will be a little tangier versus yellow mustard.
Heavy Cream: Look for heavy cream, also known as whipping cream, for the sauce. You could also get away with using milk (whole milk is best), but the sauce would not be quite as creamy.
Sour Cream: The sour cream makes the sauce a little thicker, while also adding flavor.
Green Beans: When it comes to green beans, fresh is best! However, you could also use frozen (thawed) green beans or canned. If using thawed or canned, be sure the beans have been drained before adding them to the sauce.
Crispy Fried Onions: The ‘crispy’ in the title of this recipe comes from fried onions (we used the French’s brand) that are crushed and added as the topping to the chicken dish. To crush the fried onions, place them inside a plastic zipped bag; then, use a rolling pin to crush them. (A wine bottle works great, too.)
Can I Make this Without Green Beans?
Sure! You can certainly leave out the green beans in this recipe if preferred. Serve the chicken with your favorite vegetables like air fryer carrots, asparagus, or a wedge salad.
How to Store Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Bites
If you have any leftovers (which is unlikely), store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat the bites in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Bites
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (1½-2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup (80 g) chicken broth
- ¼ cup (85 g) honey
- ¼ cup (62 g) coarse ground Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup (119 g) heavy cream, room temperature
- ¼ cup (57.5 g) sour cream, room temperature
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, cleaned, trimmed
- 1 cup crushed French's crispy fried onions
- In a large bowl, toss the pieces of chicken in salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to evenly coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter.
- When hot, add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. (Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to cook the chicken in batches.) Once browned, remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a plate. The chicken will not be fully cooked at this point. Tent the pieces to keep warm as you make the sauce.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chicken broth, honey, mustard, and lemon juice. Whisk to combine. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, stirring occasionally, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan as you go.
- Stir in the heavy cream and sour cream until fully incorporated. Nestle the chicken pieces back into the sauce and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the green beans.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the green beans and nestle them into the skillet.
- Top the dish evenly with the crushed fried onions and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Another good one. One thing I so appreciate about your page is the easy in finding things AND someone formatted printing to make it print well – far too many I can’t print as the formatting wasn’t worked on.
I like these recipes, please email all to me to the email below
So good! Whole fam loved it!
yummo , all of it