With a little kick from red pepper flakes, Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts is the best of “pasta” and vegetables, all in one easy to make meal! For more pasta recipes, try my Cheesy Ranch Chicken Pasta and Million Dollar Spaghetti.
Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are really making their way into the culinary world. I have to admit that I have become a huge fan of them! I’ve even made a few Brussels sprouts recipes of my own, like Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts and Gruyere Roasted Brussels Sprouts. Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts takes the vegetable and makes it part of a meal, not just a side dish.
Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts Recipe
With just a few ingredients, you can make a delicious and satisfying meal that is a great idea to put together on a night when you are scrambling and need something quick, but good! This would be great with my homemade breadsticks!
How to Make Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts
After you have prepared your Brussels sprouts, cook the potato gnocchi in a large pot of salted boiling water. After the gnocchi starts to float (usually after a couple of minutes), drain it and set it aside to be added to the Brussels Sprouts. Get out a large skillet to cook the Brussels sprouts.
- In the skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the halved Brussels sprouts, covering them all with the oil. Place them each flat side down.
- Season the sprouts with salt, pepper, and the red pepper flakes, searing them for about 5 minutes. (They will look a little charred.)
- Add the butter, honey, and chicken stock.
- Cook another 5 minutes, or until they are fork-tender.
- Add the gnocchi and stir everything together. Serve immediately.
How to Prepare the Brussels Sprouts
In the recipe, I mention trimming and slicing the Brussels sprouts. This is pretty simple to do. Just take a sharp chef’s knife and cut off the bottom of the core. Then, take off any loose or brownish looking leaves. Slice them in half since you will be placing them in the skillet on their flat surfaces. Brussels sprouts are in season from September to March, so that is the best time to find the sprouts with the least amount of brown and yellow leaves.
Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add gnocchi.
- Once the gnocchi floats, drain it and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the halved Brussels sprouts, tossing them in the oil, flipping them so the flat side is down.
- Season the Brussels sprouts with the salt, pepper, and red pepper.
- Sear the Brussels sprouts for about 5 minutes, or until charred.
- Add butter, honey, and chicken stock.
- Cook until fork-tender, or about 5 minutes.
- Add gnocchi and stir to coat. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.