Your life simply cannot be complete without this Chicken Caprese Salad. This salad is bursting with flavor! Tender and juicy balsamic chicken, over a bed of lettuce, tomato, avocado, mozzarella, fresh basil and finished with a balsamic reduction. If you love salads like this one, make sure to check out my buffalo chicken salad too!
Chicken Caprese Salad
The first time I was ever served a Caprese salad I remember thinking “how have I gone my whole life without this?”. A traditional Caprese salad is just tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, drizzled in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It is mind-blowingly simple but so incredibly delicious. Over the years I have taken to adding my own spin on the traditional version and it just keeps getting better. So, I just have to share it with you!
Chicken Caprese Salad Recipe
Let’s talk ingredients for a second. As I mentioned, a traditional Caprese salad is very simple. Just as few ingredients round out a flavor explosion. I like to take that a step further. I start by marinating the chicken. For this marinade recipe you will need:
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
Next, I move onto dressings. I do two separate dressings; a sweet balsamic reduction and a simple olive oil mixture.
For this you will need:
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Finally, the big finish, the salad itself. Make sure you are purchasing the freshest veggies. Nothing but the best for this amazing salad. The foundation for this whole recipe includes:
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Grape Tomatoes
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil Leaves
How to Make Chicken Caprese Salad
This can be done in four easy steps:
The Marinade – In a medium bowl mix together all of the marinade ingredients and then add the chicken breasts. I like to pour the entire mixture into a ziplock bag. I squeeze out as much air as I can before sealing the bag. Let this sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes.
Pro Tip: Make certain that your bag is zipped completely. There is nothing more tragic than an unsealed marinade bag spilling all over your countertop. #happenedtome
The Dressings – First, work on the balsamic reduction. In a small saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar and cook that until the liquid is reduced by half. Remove the pan from heat and add the honey. Whisk that together and set it aside. Next, in a small bowl combine the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk and set aside.
The Chicken – Once the chicken has sat in the marinade for 15-20 minutes, you can cook it. Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour the entire contents of the marinade bag into the pan. Cook the chicken 4-5 minutes and then flip and repeat until the chicken is cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it on a cutting board. Let the chicken sit for 1-2 minutes before slicing.
The Salad – Here is where the fun begins. Get one really large bowl or 4-6 smaller bowls. Equally divide out the lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Top with chicken and then drizzle on balsamic reduction and olive oil mixture. Top the whole dish off with salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy the best salad you will have this summer!
Looking for More Amazing Summer Recipes?
Check out some of my absolute favorites!
Chicken Caprese Salad
Your life simply cannot be complete without this Chicken Caprese Salad. This salad is bursting with flavor! Tender and juicy balsamic chicken, over a bed of lettuce, tomato, avocado, mozzarella, fresh basil and finished with a balsamic reduction.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 cups Iceberg lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup mini mozzarella cheese balls
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar.
- Place a single chicken breast inside of a ziplock bag (or between two sheets of saran wrap). Using a mallet or rolling pin, pound chicken to 1/4 inch thickness, set aside. Repeat with the other three chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken into a bowl with the olive oil mixture, let the chicken marinate at room temperature for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Set a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook undisturbed for 3-5 minutes, flip and repeat with the opposite side. Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit. Remove from heat.
- Once cool, slice into 1-inch strips. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add the balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally until the liquid is reduced by half. The balsamic reduction should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine olive oil and salt and pepper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add lettuce, sliced avocado, tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and basil leaves. Top with sliced chicken and both dressings (balsamic reduction, and oil mixture).