This Creamy Chicken Pasta Recipe combines the comfort of pasta with the savory goodness of rotisserie chicken in a creamy, rich, flavorful sauce. It will be a crowd-pleaser, especially for those who love pasta and chicken! And, it’s easy to throw together for an easy weeknight dinner ideas that can be on the table in about 30 minutes. Serve it with some garlic bread and a salad for a complete meal. If you have a few more minutes, I also have a Creamy Chicken Pasta made with seasoned chicken breasts.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Pasta: I used lingini in this dish because its wider shape pairs well with creamy sauces. Of course, you could use pasta you have on hand or make homemade shaped pasta.
Butter: Unsalted butter is a key ingredient in the sauce. Using unsalted lets you have more control of the salt in the recipe.
Chicken Broth: Chicken broth is the liquid base of the sauce, giving it even more chicken flavor. You could substitute chicken stock if that is what you have.
Heavy Cream: Heavy cream, also known as heavy whipping cream, makes the sauce nice and creamy! You could substitute half-and-half or milk, but using a lower-fat option may result in a less creamy sauce.
Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese gives the sauce a salty and nutty flavor, plus adds to the creaminess.
Chicken: To make this recipe so simple, I used rotisserie chicken. Rotisserie chicken is already cooked, so you just need to add it to the sauce and heat it up! You could also use leftover shredded chicken.
How To Serve Creamy Chicken Pasta
To create a well-balanced and satisfying meal, you can pair creamy chicken pasta with a variety of side dishes. Here are some options you may want to try:
- Wedge Salad
- Garlic Knots or Garlic Breadsticks
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Roasted Vegetables like carrots, Brussels sprouts, or asparagus
- Crusty Baguette
- Focaccia Bread
How To Store Creamy Chicken Pasta
To store creamy chicken pasta, first, let it come to room temperature. Then, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can I Freeze Creamy Chicken Pasta?
Yes, you can freeze this creamy chicken pasta recipe. First, let it cool to room temperature. Next, store it in freezer-safe containers, leaving a little bit of room for expansion. It will last up to 2-3 months. When ready to reheat, let it thaw in the refrigerator. When reheating, stir it well, since the cream sauce may separate when frozen.
Creamy Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces linguini
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 57 g) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (360 g) chicken broth
- 1 cup (238 g) heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (50 g) parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (280 g) rotisserie chicken, diced
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook al dente, according to package instructions (about 8-10 minutes). Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, draining the rest. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour, cooking for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and then heavy cream. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked pasta and chicken. Stir to combine. Add reserved pasta water until you reach your desired consistency. (I added ½ cup.)
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until chicken and pasta are warmed through.
- Garnish with parsley. Enjoy! (This is a mild dish, be sure to salt & pepper to taste!)
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.