For an addicting and crowd-pleasing appetizer, serve this queso fundido skillet at any gathering. Loaded with ooey gooey cheese and layers of delicious meat, onions, and peppers, this recipe will be requested over and over again!
I first saw this recipe on the Pioneer Woman’s blog and was of course inspired to make it! She is right, it’s a definite crowd pleaser! And you know I just love to make everything in a skillet just like she does!
QUESO FUNDIDO SKILLET
- 1 pound breakfast sausage such as Jimmy Dean
- 1 whole medium onion diced
- 2 whole small green bell peppers seeded and diced
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 3 whole Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- ¼ cup cilantro Chopped
- Unsalted tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, using the back of a wooden spoon to break up the meat into crumbles. Drain the fat and transfer the cooked meat to a clean plate.
- To the now empty skillet, cook the onion and bell pepper until softened.
- In a large cast iron skillet, sprinkle on about a quarter of the cheese. Top with half of the cooked meat, followed by another quarter of the cheese. Sprinkle on half of the onions and peppers and top with the remaining meat. Sprinkle on another quarter of cheese and the remaining onions and peppers. Cover with the remaining cheese and sprinkle on the chili powder.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, just until the cheese has melted. Top with the tomatoes and garnish with the cilantro. Serve warm with chips.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.