Breakfast Tacos are tortillas loaded with scrambled eggs, homemade breakfast sausage, cheese, and tasty toppings! These are easy to make and so delicious to eat! Starting your day with a breakfast like these Breakfast Tacos will definitely get your day started on the right foot! If you love scrambled eggs, try my Country Buttermilk Scrambled Eggs for the perfect eggs.
Tacos for breakfast, you say? Well, yes, I will say that. And, I will go ahead and eat them! Packed with protein on a softshell tortilla, Breakfast Tacos give you all the nutrition you need to get you on your way in the morning.
Breakfast Tacos Recipe
With fresh ingredients topping a scrambled egg and sausage mixture, you really can’t go wrong with these Breakfast Tacos. You will get the protein from the eggs and sausage, as well as some fresh veggies to add to it. The options are endless when it comes to the toppings, but I am going to give you the toppings I used (and LOVED).
- Breakfast sausage–I used the recipe I have for my Breakfast patties for the tacos. But, you can always buy breakfast sausage from the grocery store. They usually come in a 16-ounce package, but you only need 10 ounces for this recipe.
- Soft-shell tortillas–I was able to make 12 small tortillas, but go for the larger tortillas if you are feeling hungry! (Just know that it will change the serving amount in the recipe.)
- Buttermilk–Have you ever tried to make your own buttermilk? I have the recipe here if you want to give it a shot!
- Jalapeno peppers–You can skip the peppers if you don’t want spice, but I added just a few of the diced peppers and it was not too hot at all!
How to Make Breakfast Tacos
It is pretty quick and simple to make Breakfast Tacos. One thing you could do to save time, especially if you are in a hurry in the mornings, is to cut up the tomato, peppers, and onion ahead of time. Just store them in the refrigerator overnight so they are ready to go the next day.
Cooking the Sausage
To cook the sausage, crumble it into a skillet and cook it over medium-high heat, or until brown. The internal temperature should be 160°F if you want to check with a thermometer. Remember, you can always make your own tasty breakfast sausage for this recipe. Remove the cooked sausage from the skillet and set it aside. Leave the skillet over the heat for the tortillas. You can wipe down the skillet, but don’t wash it.
Preparing the Eggs
To make the eggs, whisk them in a small bowl with the buttermilk. Then, pour them into a separate skillet or pan over medium heat. Cook them until they are almost firm. Do not add any salt or pepper to the eggs while they are cooking. You can always add that later. In fact, I didn’t add any salt or pepper to my Breakfast Taco, and I didn’t miss it! Once the eggs are almost firm, add the cooked sausage to the eggs. Cook a couple of minutes until the eggs become firm. Remove the eggs and sausage mixture from the heat.
How to Assemble Breakfast Tacos
Back to the sausage skillet…hopefully, it is still warmed up. Take a tortilla or two, depending on the size, and let it warm up for about 45 seconds on one side. Flip it over, and while it is warming up on the other side, add some shredded cheese to the tortilla. After the cheese has melted some, remove the tortilla(s) and start layering it with the sausage egg mixture and all the toppings you can get on there! I recommend grabbing a fork as well. You don’t want to leave any of the fillings left uneaten!
- 10 ounces homemade breakfast sausage, crumbled (or you can use cooked store-bought)
- 12 small (4-inch) tortillas
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1-2 medium jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- Over medium-high heat, cook crumbled sausage in a large skillet until evenly browned. Wipe down the skillet (but don't wash it). Set sausage aside and leave the skillet on the heat for the tortillas.
- Heat another skillet over medium heat while you whisk together the eggs and buttermilk in a medium bowl. Pour them into the skillet. Cook until almost firm.
- Add the sausage crumbles to the eggs, cooking until the eggs are firm.
- Using the sausage skillet, warm the tortillas for about 45 seconds per side. After warming the first side, flip over the tortilla and add some shredded cheese to the tortilla.
- After the cheese has melted a little, top it with the scrambled eggs and sausage mixture. Then, remove from heat and add as many toppings as you like! Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.