This easy Breakfast Puff Pastry is made with eggs, cheese, and ham that is sure to impress and start your day on the right foot! Try my Cowboy Breakfast Pastry for another delicious and satisfying breakfast!
Breakfast Puff Pastry
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day at our house. We love to start our day with a hearty, filling, and healthy meal. Any egg variation will do for us, but this one is a family favorite. Plus, it’s easy to put together and will keep you satisfied throughout the morning. What is not to love??
Puff Pastry: You will need one sheet of a store-bought puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions. If you are feeling motivated, here is a great recipe for a homemade Puff Pastry. Just leave out the cinnamon when making it for this recipe.
Ham: I prefer deli-sliced ham. You can also swap out the ham for crumbled sausage or even bacon.
Cheese: I love sharp cheddar cheese in the puff pastry, but you could use a combination of kinds of cheese, or what you prefer.
Eggs: Make scrambled eggs to add to the puff pastry. Want to know a secret? We use buttermilk and cornstarch in our scrambled eggs. Here is the recipe for Country Buttermilk Scrambled Eggs. It is so light and fluffy and adds amazing texture and flavor to this dish. You don’t have to use this recipe for your breakfast pastry; any scrambled egg recipe using 8-10 eggs will work.
What to Serve with Breakfast Puff Pastry
To balance this recipe out, we like to serve it up with a little color. Check out my Rainbow Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing recipe! It adds so much fun and flavor to the table! You could also serve this with a fresh fruit platter and fruit dip.
Can I Make this Ahead of Time?
The breakfast puff pastry can be filled and refrigerated for up to 8 hours before baking. Just wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Remove it from the refrigerator 15 minutes before baking. Bake as directed in the instructions.
Can I Make this Puff Pastry Recipe as a Single Serving?
Certainly. Cut the puff pastry into 8-12 squares (depending on how large you want them). Evenly distribute the filling across the center of all of the puff pastry squares. Fold up the corners of each puff pastry square so they meet in the middle. Gently pinch together the four corners where they meet in the middle, and slightly flatten the filled pastry so it makes a square, distributing the filling to the corners. Follow the recipe as written below.
Breakfast Puff Pastry
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed per box instructions
- 6 ounces deli sliced ham
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups scrambled eggs, prepared to your liking (roughly 8-10 eggs depending on size)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, for topping
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Generously dust your work surface with flour and roll out the puff pastry into a 14-inch square.
- Cut slits 1-inch apart from the outer edge to the fold mark on each side of the pastry sheet. Leave room for the filling down the center (about ⅓ of the way on each side).
- Lay the ham down the center of the puff pastry. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the ham and top with the scrambled eggs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water to make the egg wash.
- Brush the exposed puff pastry border with the egg wash. Starting at one end, fold the pastry strips over the egg mixture, alternating sides, to cover the mixture.
- Transfer the breakfast puff pastry to the prepared baking sheet. (For easy transfer, you can have parchment paper underneath the pastry, but it is not necessary.) Brush the entire puff pastry with the remaining egg wash and top with kosher salt.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.