Savory Breakfast Monkey Bread takes a classicly sweet bread and transforms it into a savory breakfast meal by adding eggs, bacon, and cheese all blended into this pull-apart bread, topped with garlic butter. If you love eggs for breakfast, try my Breakfast Tacos or Country Buttermilk Scrambled Eggs.
Savory Breakfast Monkey Bread
I have made plenty of sweet monkey bread, including Orange Monkey Bread and 5-Ingredient Monkey Bread. I love how easy and fun it is to eat, just pulling apart as little or as much as you are craving. Loading this bread with eggs, bacon, and cheese makes it a savory meal more than a snack. It has the perfect blend of carbs and protein to get you on your way. And don’t forget about the garlic butter!
Biscuits: Look for a tube of homestyle biscuits. Easy-peasy! You can also opt for homemade dough. I have a recipe here, just omit the cinnamon.
Eggs: Get six eggs scrambled to add to the bread.
Bacon: Make the bacon ahead of time by baking it in the oven. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and bake the strips of bacon for 18-20 minutes at 415°F. You can opt for the meat of your choice here, it just needs to be made ahead.
Cheese: I prefer mild cheddar cheese so that it doesn’t overpower the eggs and bread, but you could add your favorite kind of cheese!
Garlic Butter: The garlic butter that is brushed over the top of the warm bread adds lots of garlic flavor (yum).
Variations to Savory Breakfast Monkey Bread
This breakfast bread is easy to make your way. Try different meat like breakfast sausage, cubed ham, or go meatless. Add vegetables like onions or bell peppers. Want a little kick? Add some red pepper flakes.
Can I Make this Ahead of Time?
Sure! If you want to put everything together in the pan the night before, that would work! Just be sure to cover the pan with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, it will be ready to be put in the oven and baked.
Can I Use a Different Pan?
Generally, monkey bread is made in a bundt pan. But, you can definitely use a different type of pan to get the same delicious Savory Breakfast Monkey Bread. You could use a pie pan or a square baking dish. But, the cooking times could vary when you are using a different pan. Be sure to check the middle of the bread for doneness. A bread pan or springform pan would also work.
How to Store
Store the baked bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Heat it up in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy it.
Savory Breakfast Monkey Bread
- 1 tube (16 ounces) homestyle biscuits
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 56 g) butter, melted
- 6 large eggs, softly scrambled*
- 6 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (113 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 56 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- chopped tomato
- diced jalapeno peppers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut each biscuit into 6 pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and biscuit pieces.
- Add the scrambled eggs, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese. Toss it all together until combined.
- Add the mixture to the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Allow the bread to cool for a couple of minutes before inverting it onto a serving plate. While the bread is cooling, make the garlic butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter with the garlic salt. Mix well.
- Brush over the monkey bread. Serve warm, garnished with tomatoes and jalapeno peppers (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.