Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Potatoes is as easy to put together as it is flavorful, made with kielbasa, potatoes, cream of chicken soup, and cheese, all cooked together in a slow cooker. Try my Slow Cooker Turkey Chili for another delicious ‘set it and forget it’ recipe!
Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Potatoes
I love using a slow cooker, or Crockpot, especially on busy days! And, with this recipe, you simply add the ingredients into the bowl of a slow cooker and let it do all the work. There is very little prep work, and you will come home to a comforting meal that the entire family will love. Add some green beans or asparagus as a side dish and a basket of breadsticks to make this meal complete. If you love kielbasa, try my Slow Cooker Bourbon Glazed Kielbasa for a simple appetizer to share.
Potatoes: You will need a 32-ounce bag of frozen, diced potatoes. Let them thaw in the refrigerator before adding them to the slow cooker.
Kielbasa: Kielbasa (sometimes also called ring sausage) is a flavorful, lightly smoked sausage that is pre-cooked. You could also use Andouille sausage, Mexican Chorizo, or other sausages as substitutes.
Cheese: I used both sharp cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. You could stick to one kind of cheese if preferred.
Spices: You will just need some chives, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper for spices. You could leave out the cayenne pepper if you don’t want any extra kick to the dish.
How to Make Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Potatoes
As I stated earlier, there is very little prep work that goes into this recipe. The only thing you need to do is cut up the kielbasa. That’s it! Then, simply spray the bowl of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and add all of the ingredients to the bowl. Finally, stir everything to combine and set the slow cooker on low to cook for 5-6 hours. Or, set it on high to cook for 3-4 hours. The cheese should be melted and the potatoes and kielbasa heated through. Serve immediately with fresh parsley for garnish.
What is the Difference between Kielbasa and Sausage?
Kielbasa is a sausage that originated in Poland. Both kielbasa and sausage come in quite a few varieties. However, there are differences between the two. Kielbasa is usually shaped like a horseshoe or in a loop. It is made with coarsely ground meat which gives it more texture. Authentic kielbasa is made with pork or a combination of pork and beef, while sausage uses a variety of different meats. You can find kielbasa in most grocery stores. In America, kielbasa is also called ring sausage.
Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Potatoes
- 32 ounces frozen diced potatoes, thawed in refrigerator
- 24 ounces kielbasa, sliced, then halved
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Spray the bowl of a 6-8 quart slow cooker with nonstick spray. Or, line the bowl with a liner.
- To the slow cooker, add the thawed diced potatoes, kielbasa, both kinds of cheese, cream of chicken soup, milk, chives, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours. (Or, cook on high for 3-4 hours.)
- When ready, stir and serve, garnished with fresh parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
This recipe was inspired by the Slow Cooker Smoked Sausage and Potatoes recipe by Must Love Home.